Having a carpet is a great way to secure your floor against scratches, spillages, moisture, and other pollution that can warp or potentially damage your floor. Also, carpets offer excellent looks, so you can consider them a decorative, as well as a protective piece.
Last but not least, carpets provide that comfortable fuzzy feeling beneath your feet, so you can enjoy walking all over them.
That said, carpets, like any other part of your household furniture, require regular maintenance to last a long time, so what better way to ensure this need of theirs is met than get yourself a finely-made vacuum cleaner. And if you tend to have multiple carpets spanning several different rooms, some of which are on the second or third floor of your house, you may want to get a cordless vacuum cleaner, as well.
These contraptions can reach far off areas relatively easily, and allow you to clean them without having to plug the cord out of its socket and then re-plug it somewhere else. (This is because they don’t have a power cord or a plug, of course.)
So, what we’re talking about is a state-of-the-art, battery-operated contraption that works just as well and just as efficiently as any other vacuum cleaner, but is significantly easier to move about and doesn’t require a power socket to be operational in its vicinity.
In this article, we’re going to present to you five products in this particular category, so you can have an easier time choosing the perfect model for your needs. Also, we’ll provide a brief buyer’s guide, so you can have a better idea of what to look for in case you’re a first-time buyer.
Right then, without further ado, here’s the deal.
Experts Picks: Top 5 Home Carpet Cleaner Machines
- Carpet Cleaning Machines: A Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Carpet Cleaning Machine & Shampooer Reviews
- 2. Deep carpet cleaner by Rug Doctor
- 3. PowerDash pet carpet cleaner by Hoover
- 4. Proheat 2x Revolution by Bissell
- 5. Pet stain eraser by Bissell
- 6. Dyson – Ball Multi-Floor 2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 7. EUREKA – Power Speed Lightweight Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 8. EUREKA – Whirlwind Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- 9. Bissell – Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- 10. Bissell – Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Choose Cordless Vacuum for Carpets
- Frequently Asked Questions about Carpet Cleaners
Carpet Cleaning Machines: A Buyer’s Guide
Even though you are likely in the market for a carpet spot cleaning machine because you just need to clean one particular area of the carpet, there are still things you should know about before getting one.
First, how bad is the stain? A lot of these spot cleaning machines will work on stains, but if the stain is particularly nasty then you may actually be better off setting some time aside to clean the entire carpet.
Also, are there are a lot of stains on the carpet? If you use these spot cleaning machines on multiple carpet stains, then you also might be better off just cleaning your entire carpet since you are practically already doing so.
Lastly, do you have pets? Some of these spot cleaning machines are not pet friendly, and a few of them will not be able to get pet stains out. It is unfortunate, but there exist cleaning solutions that are specifically designed for pets and only a few spot cleaning machines are designed for pets.
Emptying the dust bin now and again during your vacuuming session, so to speak, is an integral part of doing the house cleaning-related chores.
Now, while vacuuming, for the most part, is a pretty clean procedure in itself, the icky part comes forth right about when you venture to empty the dust bag. A small amount of dust will get into the surrounding and then you can drop some of it on your hands, which is not that much of a problem but can be annoying.
To battle this, some vacuum cleaner manufacturers have come up with a lift-away dust canister, which can grant you the ability to empty it without ever coming into contact with its contents. All you need to push a button. So, if you don’t like dust and dirt on your hands, consider getting a vacuum cleaner model with this feature.
When it comes to cordless vacuum cleaners, arguably the most important feature would be their battery life. Since these vacuum cleaner models don’t have a cord, their battery is they have to power them on.
So, when buying a cordless vacuum model, make sure that it has a long battery life because this will determine how long you can use it before it ‘runs out of juice’. Also, having a battery life indicator on board would be a plus. With that thing flickering on and off, you’ll always be in the know as to exactly how much of electricity you’ve got left in the tank, so to speak.
One of the characteristics that make these cordless vacuuming contraptions so effective would be their lightweight design. Cordless vacuums are all about maneuverability, handling, and the ability to work on multiple surfaces.
For this reason, most cordless vacuum cleaner manufacturers will go out of their way to ensure their models are as lightweight and movable as possible. So, it won’t be that difficult to find a vacuum cleaner that’s so light, even a child can pick it up easily and do some chores with it.
Dust Container Capacity
Having to empty the dust container every 15 minutes can be quite annoying, so one of the aspects of your potential new cordless vacuum cleaner should be its ability to accumulate a certain amount of dust and other pollutants in its bag before you need to empty it.
Obviously, the larger the container, the more time you will have to clean in peace. (Well, not in peace, because vacuum cleaners are loud.)
Battery Life Indicator
As is the case with any battery-powered contraption, it’s important to regularly refill the batteries, otherwise, it won’t work. Not only that but if you allow the battery to hit the zero one too many times, you run the risk of weakening its cells and so ruining it for good.
So, to get the most out of your vacuum cleaner battery, it’s useful to have a battery life indicator installed somewhere on your vacuum. So, if you can, try to get a model with this feature, as it will help you make your vacuum cleaner ‘live’ longer, and have a stronger battery, too!
10 Carpet Cleaning Machine & Shampooer Reviews
<h31. Pet handsfree spot and stain cleaner by Bissell aka the “SpotBot”
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Get rid of messes without getting your hands dirty. This hands free portable carpet cleaner does all the scrubbing for you
It’s very rare that a carpet spot cleaner is pet friendly, and it is even more rare that said spot cleaner is hands-free. These two features let Bissell’s cleaner stand out above the rest in a lot of ways.
Nearly every carpet based cleaning system sold by Bissell is pet friendly. Pet friendly spot cleaners are very useful because oftentimes, the only spot on the carpet that needs cleaning are areas with pet stains.
The fact that Bissell has come out with a spot cleaning machine that specializes in pet stains is very nice, and suitable for homes that have pets in them that do not have the time to clean their entire carpet.
Bissell’s cleaner has two presets, making it hands-free. While this makes it more of a full carpet cleaner than a spot cleaner, it is still really neat to see that carpet cleaners are utilizing hands-free technology.
The SpotBot does use cleaning solution, and can get some getting used to when it comes to the presets. And if you intend to use it as a spot cleaner, you’ll likely just operate it with your hands anyway.Buy on Amazon
2. Deep carpet cleaner by Rug Doctor
- Cleaning tank capacity (gallons) - 1. Dual cross action brushes oscillate and rotate to scrub carpet fibers from every angle powering away dirt and stains to deliver a professional-grade deep clean...
- 75 percent more suction than comparable carpet cleaning machines slashes drying time; quick dry in four hours or less; simple lift clean and dirty water tanks make refilling and emptying easy
It usually takes a very, very long time for carpets to dry after getting cleaned. This can be very inconvenient, especially if the room being cleaned is a bedroom or if it is the living room.
Rug Doctor’s cleaner does not yield a long wait after cleaning with it. At most, it will take about 4 hours after cleaning with it. This is much shorter than other carpet cleaners that can take as long as 10 hours after cleaning.
Coming with all the cleaning solutions needed for a carpet clean built in, Rug Doctor’s cleaner also eliminates the need to have separate cleaners. This is perfect for anybody who wants to clean their carpet quickly.
There is one thing that you should be aware of with Rug Doctor’s cleaner: It is not pet friendly. The chemicals it uses in its solution can be harmful to pets if they get near it.
It is also designed for very small stains. If your carpet has massive stains that have been around for a long time, you should probably look for something better as Rug Doctor’s cleaner will not eliminate significant stains.Buy on Amazon
3. PowerDash pet carpet cleaner by Hoover
- 2X MORE CLEANING POWER than the competitive lightweight carpet cleaner
- POWERSPIN PET BRUSH ROLL: Delivers powerful carpet cleaning with protection
While it is not specifically designed for pets, the PowerDash by Hoover is a spot cleaning machine that proves to be very effective if you have pets.
Everything it uses to clean the carpet is pet friendly as well as efficient. Instead of cleaning the carpet with a combination of cold water and solution, the PowerDash cleans the carpet with a combination of warm water and solution, reducing the time it takes to dry by a lot. Instead of waiting the usually 8 to 10 hours for carpets cleaned with standard cleaner to dry, you’ll only need to wait about 4 with the PowerDash.
The PowerDash is also compatible with any kind of carpet cleaning solution that Hoover sells, making it extremely versatile. This makes it possible for the PowerDash to clean up spots as well as entire carpets.
There are two glaring issues with the PowerDash, and the first is that you need cleaning solution in order for it to do anything. This can be inconvenient, especially since it only comes with a very small amount of solution. Prepare to either order it with cleaning solution, or plan to pick up some cleaning solution down the road.
Even though the PowerDash is small, it is still bound by a cord. It would be much better than it already is if it were cordless.Buy on Amazon
4. Proheat 2x Revolution by Bissell
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Engineered to be our best and most powerful carpet cleaning system for the toughest pet stains and odors even removes skunk odor
Like with all carpet cleaners made by Bissell, the Proheat Revolution is suitable for pets and they will not be affected by its cleaning system.
On top of that, it also contains certain settings that specialize in eliminating pet odors and some pet stains. It contains something called the CleanShot Pretreater, which can be applied to any given pet urine stain before physically cleaning to remove the stain. This is best done if the urine stain is fresh, as the Proheat Revolution will eliminate it almost instantly.
Perhaps the best thing about the Proheat Revolution is how unbelievably fast the carpets it cleans can dry. Most common carpet cleaners take right around 8 hours to dry. If you clean a carpet with the Proheat Revolution, expect your carpet to be dry in 1 hour. Not 8, not 4, but one. This is outstanding and perfect for anybody who does not want to wait all day for their carpet to dry.
The only thing that could possibly be considered drawbacks of the Proheat Revolution are the fact that it does require separate cleaning solutions, not unlike any other carpet cleaner. While this is to be expected, it can still be inconvenient.
Another thing that could turn people off is how big the Proheat Revolution is. Because it has so many components and is so powerful, it weighs a lot. If you are looking for a carpet spot cleaner that you can carry around easier, skip the Proheat Revolution.Buy on Amazon
5. Pet stain eraser by Bissell
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Spray, Scrub, And Suction To Remove Pet Stains And Messes From Carpet, Upholstery, Stairs, Area Rugs, Auto Interiors, And More
If you do not need a major carpet cleaning device or just need something to clean pet stains and pet stains alone, you’ll get a lot out of Bissell’s pet stain eraser.
The Pet Stain Eraser is not a big carpet cleaner. It resembles a hand vacuum, but the difference is that it has a scrubber as well as a suction on the end. When it is turned on, formula is pumped outside of the scrubber which targets the stain. The suction does what any hand vacuum would do.
Like any other hand vacuum, the Pet Stain Eraser is cordless, compact, and can be taken anywhere. This is perfect for anybody who has pets and who also lives on several floors. It can be a pain to take your floor cleaner upstairs just so you can remove a fresh pet stain. This is not an issue with the Pet Stain Eraser.
However, prepare to empty the tank of the Pet Stain Eraser a lot if you do intend to use it for pet stains. It can only hold 8 ounces, so if you are using this to clean the stains from multiple pets, you will need to be aware that the Pet Stain Eraser can only do so much.Buy on Amazon
6. Dyson – Ball Multi-Floor 2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Self adjusting cleaner head seals in suction across carpet, wood, vinyl, and tile floors
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
For all of y’all folks looking for an easy-to-maneuver, lightweight vacuum cleaner, this model from Dyson can be just what you need. Made in the image of your traditional upright vacuum cleaner, users familiar with this design concept won’t have a tough time figuring out how it works, so operation and handling are both quite easy when this thing is in question.
When it comes to surfaces this thing can work on, you can count in all the regular flooring solutions people usually go for – vinyl, wood, carpet, tile floors, the lot. This cleaner has so much versatility at its disposal because its head can adjust to the surface below, which enhances the suction it can deliver radically.
An interesting design solution implemented by the Dyson folks would be the way you empty the dust canister. Namely, to get rid of the dirt and whatever else you’ve managed to accumulate into the bag, all you need to do would be to push a certain button and then take the entire canister off its platform. So, you can pretty much empty the vacuum cleaner without ever touching the nasty stuff. Super cool hygienic stuff beaming from the Dyson folks.
- Excellent suction
- Works on a variety of surfaces
- Self-adjusting head
- Instant-release wand
- Hygienic bin emptying
- Some users have reported problems with the beater bar
- Hard to maneuver on stairs
7. EUREKA – Power Speed Lightweight Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Powerful vacuum cleaner: The dynamic motor and brush roll can lift stubborn and heavy debris. Plus, the 12.6” wide nozzle cleans more with a quickness.
- 10 pounds lightweight upright vacuum: The EurekaPowerSpeed is pretty lightweight and easy to maneuver. Designed for whole home clean.
Featuring an attractive build that looks as if it’s been ripped straight out of a sci-fi flick, this power speed vacuum cleaner from EUREKA can be an excellent solution of a person in need of a good-looking AND powerful cleaning contraption.
One of the biggest advantages this vacuum cleaner has over the competition would be its incredible weight, which amounts to under 10 pounds. This means that you can easily maneuver with this contraption even if you’re an elderly person or have suffered some sort of potentially debilitating injury.
As far as its versatility is concerned, this thing can be comfortably used on various surfaces thanks to its smart height-adjusting system. It comprises five different levels and is a breeze to set up. For example, if you’d like to work on high-pile carpets, you can set the head of this vacuum cleaner to the highest setting, so that it can pass over the hairy surface. On the other hand, if you’re working with a hard floor, the lowest setting will probably suffice.
- Lightweight build
- 5 height adjustments
- Extra-large dust cup
- Comes with several accessories
- Washable filter
- Some users complained about a short extension hose
- Some customers complained about the plastic build of some of the parts
8. EUREKA – Whirlwind Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Innovative Multi-Surface Vacuum: Deep clean with the whirlwind canister vacuum. This vacuum features an integrated airflow control on the handle that can be easily switched at your fingertips. It...
- Lightweight And Easy To Maneuver: Vacuum anywhere around your home with ease with this lightweight vacuum. The Eureka whirlwind vacuum cleaner weighs less than 8 pounds and can easily maneuver under...
Another weird-looking yet incredibly powerful vacuum cleaner from EUREKA comes in the shape of this Whirlwind canister model. Despite its bulky appearance, this vacuum cleaner is fairly lightweight and can be easily moved about.
Instead of using an adjustable height option to achieve the effect of workability on different surfaces, so to speak, this model allows you to use it on different surfaces by adjusting the intensity of the airflow. The idea is that different surfaces require a different amount of suction to get the job done, so the folks at EUREKA decided to materialize this by offering you three settings you can choose from.
Another major plus for this model would be the fact that it comes with a rather sizeable dust container (3 liters, to be precise), so you won’t need to empty it every five minutes or so. Also, once you do get up to empty it, the job’s a breeze, because you won’t have to touch the actual dust in any way, shape, or form!
- Lightweight design
- Airflow control
- Easy to maneuver
- A large, 3-liter dust container
- Integrated crevice tool
- Some users have complained about the poor quality of the hose
- Some customers have reported poor performance on carpets and other non-hard floors
9. Bissell – Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase, upon activation
- Powerful pet hair pick up with triple action brush roll + scatter free technology
Sturdy build, a powerful motor providing excellent suction, and an appearance that resembles some sort of sci-fi robot are features that make this Bissell vacuum cleaner one of their best-sold cleaning apparatuses these days.
One of the biggest strengths of this particular model would be its almighty pet hair brush, enabling you to pick up pet hairs from carpets as effectively as you would from standard hard floors such as linoleums, hardwood floors, and other similar surfaces.
Now, as far as maneuvering around various pieces of furniture you own is concerned, you can rest assured that this Bissell model will be able to tackle even the toughest messes in some of the trickiest positions and still come out victorious on the other end, so to speak. This is possible thanks to Bissell’s special swivel steering technology, enabling you to swerve around chair legs and tables with ease.
- Excellent against pet hairs
- Swivel steering
- Edge-to-edge cleaning
- Easy bin emptying
- Comes with a corner tool
- Some users reported the brush not being as effective for picking up pet hair as advertised
- Some customers complained about clogged belts
10. Bissell – Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- Every purchase saves pets
- One pass technology with powerful suction and innovative brush design to clean on the initial pass (removes most surface debris based on visual test BTP0221)
Boasting a mighty one pass technology that ensures most of the debris, dust, and other offending pollutants are getting sucked in during the first pass (as its name suggests), this Bissell contraption can be a great tool for a person in need of a powerful cleaning apparatus that also can do its job quickly.
The system for this contraption is a simple but an effective one – the suction power is renewed quickly thanks to the multi-cyclonic way of managing the air, so to speak, so this thing will provide roughly the same amount of suction output, no matter how long you’re using it for. Of course, if you use it for too long, the motor may get overheated, so this is not advisable. On the other hand, this Bissell one-pass model can get rid of a mess quite quickly, so you won’t need to worry about its speed and efficiency that much.
- One-pass technology
- Powerful suction
- Multi-level filtration
- Washable filter
- Lightweight design
- Some users have complained about the shortness of the hose
- Some users have reported that emptying the dust canister can be tough at times (There is some dust residue inside.)
How to Choose Cordless Vacuum for Carpets
When it comes to picking up a great vacuum cleaner for carpets, in particular, what you need to pay your attention to would be its ability to pass over high-pile carpets and have the suction strength to be able to clean up the area.
Vacuum cleaner manufacturers resolve this issue in several ways. One way is for them to create a cleaning head with adjustable height settings, allowing the user to set the height at which the head will pass over the carpet itself. This way, you can prevent your vacuum cleaner head from getting stuck in some of the more high-pile carpets.
On the other hand, some manufacturers go for a different solution – a solution that allows you to choose between suction settings. So, depending on the suction intensity of a setting, you can work on different surfaces with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions about Carpet Cleaners
1) Are Cordless Vacuums Good on Carpet?
- Well, the fact that a vacuum cleaner is cordless or corded doesn’t have much to do with its efficiency on carpets, so you can say that cordless cleaners are just as good on carpets as their corded counterparts.
- On the other hand, if you have a large house with plenty of carpets, the cordless models may have a slight advantage because you won’t have to re-plug them into the power source every time you enter a different room.
2) Are Cordless Vacuums as Good as Corded?
- Depends on what you expect them to do.
- When it comes to their overall power rating and ability to pick up dirt and other pollutants from off your floors and carpets, they are pretty much the same. However, if you take into account some other, peripheral features as well, you’ll find that cordless cleaners are easier to maneuver (because they have no cord), but also take some time to charge up.
So, if you don’t mind waiting for the battery of your vacuum cleaner to charge up all the way, a cordless cleaner may be a solid purchase for you.
3) Do Stick Vacuums Work on Carpet?
- Of course, they do.
- Stick vacuums differ to their counterparts only in their design, so you can rest assured that these will do well on carpets as much as any other vacuum cleaner out there.
- These stick versions can also have powerful brushes that can be a perfect choice for carpets and other surfaces, so you don’t need to worry about buying a stick vacuum cleaner if you have a bunch of carpets to take care of – they’ll work quite well, indeed.
4) Which Cordless Vacuum Has the Best Suction?
- This depends on the power rating of the vacuum cleaner, because the motor propels the fan, and the fan creates the suction.
- Now, as far as the cordless vacuums are in question, some of the most powerful models come from manufacturers such as Bissell and Dyson, so if you’re looking for power and great suction from a vacuum cleaner – get one from either of these two companies.
5) Are Cordless Vacuums Energy-Efficient?
- The motors that get built-in cordless vacuum cleaners tend to be as energy-efficient as possible, because their batteries have to support them, and they are not a never-ending source of power.
So, the answer to this question would be a ‘yes’, cordless vacuums tend to be pretty energy-efficient, overall.
All things considered, owning a tough ‘n’ powerful cordless vacuum cleaner is the best way to tackle the dirt, grime, dust, and whatever else lurks in your carpets and beneath your furniture. We hope this article helped you find the best model for your needs and we wish you a merry and hassle-free purchase.
Whether you need to clean an entire carpet or just one area of the carpet, there is something for everyone. You just need to be able to find the right kind of cleaner that fits your situation best.
There are many cleaners that can do this, and they are all worth exploring and comparing each other to. One thing to keep in mind that in many cases, these cleaners will require some kind of solution or cleaning formula.
This is because carpets are designed to absorb things, and this is why stains must be handled immediately. If they are not, then stains can affect a lot more than just your carpet itself.
Do not let stains ruin anything for you. Choose the right carpet spot cleaning machine and get to cleaning.