Taking care of your home’s hygiene means cleaning it regularly and meticulously. Ventilation, shoes, pets, and social day to day interactions create a steady stream of particles, debris, and stains to our homes every day. We must keep our floors and countertops out of dirt, dust, and germs that tend to linger and accumulate when left uncleaned. While larger particles may be easy to spot and clean away, dust, germs, and bacteria cannot be seen by the naked eye, and need to be eliminated.
Collect a steam mop, which assures you of up to 99.9% removal of these microscopic agents and helps to keep sanitization. Steam is hot enough to exterminate allergens, germs, and bacteria naturally without having to resort to detergents to reinforce the action. This makes the appliance quite useful for households that have kids and pets using the same space.
Advantages offered by steam cleaning
Floor Steamers are the most effective cleaning and disinfection systems for cleaning furniture. Here are some quick advantages.
- The advantages offered by this type of cleaning are not found in other types of tasks performed with chemical products .
- The temperature of the water vapor eliminates all types of germs. The use of additional products is unnecessary. You save on detergents and chemicals, which you will not have to use and replace each time they run out.
- The nature of the vapor, being in a gaseous state, helps to reach the most inaccessible places for the human hand, cleaning tools and products, achieving a much more effective sanitization, disinfection and cleaning of all surfaces. In this way with steam cleaning , complicated spaces can be disinfected.
- The use of water exclusively, makes steam cleaning one of the most ecological cleaning procedures.
- In addition, the high temperatures combined with the contact force projected by the steam cleaning machines , soften the difficult stains embedded in upholstery fabrics.
Experts Picks: Top 5 Floor and Carpet Steamer
Here are 18 Best Steam Mop Cleaner Reviews for Choosing in 2020
1. Bissell powerfresh steam mop + cleaning wipes
Made by a famous homecare apparatus maker, this steam mop is highly recommended for effectively eradicating germs and bacteria on surfaces around your home. Its scrubber flips down to clean a range of messes, from grout to stuck dirt that has already dried. Also, the built-in scrubber makes it easy to use and also safe to use the steam mop on all surfaces such as ceramic, floors, countertops, and walls. This model can also be used to remove stains and soils effectively from garments as a laundry pre-spotter owing to its utility in getting rid of grime, scum, and grease. Fragrance discs of choice can easily be slotted in on the steam mop pad for a fresh scent as you clean surfaces.
- This steam mop uses the natural cleansing property of steam without adding any chemicals during cleaning.
- It is easy to set the steam levels required as desired, with the unit offering a choice range of three settings.
- The mop pad supports fragrance discs to help freshen up the air as you conduct the cleaning process.
- Highly versatile, this model can clean a range of surfaces from linoleum to hardwood and plastic.
- In case of failure, it is important to note that you are required to send the device in its original box for repairs or to validate the warranty for replacement.
- Due to the heat emitted during the process, the cap is prone to cracking over time and leaking, rendering the unit unusable.
- Using incorrect steam settings on surfaces may lead to streaking or even stripping of floor finishing, especially hardwood floors.
2. Shark Steam Pocket Mop
This steam mop works by converting the added water to scalding steam that effectively eliminates stains, dirt, and grime. Its power cord is 20″ long and has a quick-release mechanism that makes the unit easy to store away or pull out for cleaning — sanitizing any surface with this model, as it heats up within a mere 30 seconds to produce superheated steam that eradicates germs and allergens, drying almost instantly. The two dirt tapping pads provided with the unit are made of microfiber and can be washed after using the steam mop ready for the next use. It also sports a comfortable and soft gripping handle that makes using the device easy and comfortable. This model can be used for cleaning most glazed surfaces, but it is always prudent to test on a small patch for results before advancing.
- The unit is easy to assemble upon reception from shipping, and no extra tools are required to get it running.
- Operation of this steam mop does not involve chemicals and is purely natural.
- It is quick to start, with the waiting time standing at less than a minute for the device to be fully operational.
- A long power cord makes it easy to clean vast expanses without the need to switch power outlets.
- The fitted microfiber dirt pad covers are highly effective and washable for reuse.
- This steam mop is light and easy to use comfortably, even for extended periods.
- The water cup does not store on-board the unit, and could easily get lost.
- It is a little difficult to see when the steam mop water cup is running low on water.
- The steam does not come out automatically and requires pumping the handle to make it work.
3. Bissell powerfresh mop
It is hard to go wrong with this steam mop as it offers a versatile cleaning experience with three custom steam settings. Cleaning is done naturally with steam only, excluding the need for chemicals to eradicate germs and allergens from your surfaces. Fragrance discs can be fitted in the mop head to sanitize the air as you clean, in addition to the unit being able to support demineralized scented water to attain the same fragrance. Bundled are two washable mop pads, one which is soft and the other a bit stiff to scrub more stubborn surfaces.
- It is relatively easy to put together the unit for the first run, with only a screwdriver needed for the entire process.
- The steam level required during cleaning can be adjusted, with the device providing a choice of three adjustment settings.
- Two washable mop pads ship with the unit, with one being soft for delicate surfaces and the other a little scrubby for other surfaces.
- Fragrance discs can be fitted in the mop head to provide a fresh scent as you clean.
- This model also supports using scented demineralized water for additional fragrance requirements.
- Practice caution when using the unit for extended periods on floors that absorb heat, as it may cause burns when stepped on without shoes.
- It may be a little hard to use the device on walls in tight spaces.
- Using the steam mop on the highest setting makes the mop pad much easier to saturate, resulting in slightly damp surfaces after cleaning.
4. Smart living steam mop plus
If you’re looking for a light and easy to steam mop that will sanitize your surfaces then look no further than this model. The cleaning mechanism uses steam from distilled water to get rid of germs and allergens naturally without the need for chemicals. It heats up quickly to achieve a temperature of 110•C that provides super-heated steam that removes stains and grime easily. This steam mop is highly versatile too and can be used to on a range of surfaces from carpets to wood and ceramic floors.
- This steam mop is easy to use and effectively eliminates dust, allergens, and streaks from a range of surfaces.
- It does not require chemicals and sanitizes using distilled water to create steam that is a natural cleanser.
- It heats the water quickly for you to begin cleaning almost immediately after switching the unit on.
- This model works on a variety of surfaces such as travertine tiles and hardwood floors.
- The ball joint for steering the unit proves useful in cleaning under and around household objects as you go.
It is relatively light to use and the extended power cord makes enough room for cleaning large areas without having to change power outlets.
- The dirt pads are prone to wear over time and consecutive washes, leaving them thin and flimsy.
- Water reservoir may not hold enough water to create the required steam to clean large expanses.
- Its replacement dirt pads are a little costly, adding to maintenance costs.
5. Shark Genius
This steam mop proves to be more than an able companion in keeping sealed floors clean and sanitized. It packs a dirt pad which is dual sided and made of a highly absorbent material that provides both efficient cleaning and quick drying times. This dirt pad is also reusable and can be washed in a laundry machine after use for the next cleaning session. Attaching, using, and removing the dirt pad is a breeze, operating on a button to achieve these functions without necessarily having to touch the pad by hand. The nozzle at the end of the stick can produce a steam jet to aim at stubborn stains for easier cleaning. Steam levels can be changed to suit your requirements from the available three settings. The mop pad is wide and features a unique steam transfer mechanism to create a broad cleaning surface area for the unit.
- Getting it up and running upon reception is relatively easy and non-technical.
- It is efficient at removing deep-set stains and dirt, even removing spilled paint from floors.
- The steam mop is fantastically light and relatively easy to use, given its dirt pad material.
- This unit features a steam jet nozzle at the end of the handle to target stubborn stains for easy removal.
- Attachment and removal of the dirt pad can be done with the operation of a button, eliminating the need to hold a dirty pad by hand.
- The device is not equipped with a button or a switch to turn it on and starts working as soon as it is plugged into a power outlet.
- Owing to its structural design, this steam mop cannot stand on its own and needs to be supported when not in use.
6. Powerfresh steam mop + scented water
Bundled with demineralized water that is scented, this steam mop is a worthy choice that stands out from its competitors. Its dirt scrubbing pad is built in, and highly efficient in removing dried stains, grout and a variety of messes that may occur around your living space. It features a three-level steam setting for diverse cleaning needs as required. This steam mop also works on different surfaces such as linoleum and hardwood floors. The mop head can be fitted with fragrant discs for a custom air scent as you clean around the house with the mop. It comes with two mop pads made for different types of surfaces: a soft pad and another a little more rigid for tough surfaces. The brush roll fitted in this steam mop is conveniently powered on or off by a switch located on the unit.
- This model offers is bundled with scented demineralized water, which proves handy when you need to have a fresh scent around your home.
- Its mop pad is inbuilt, made from microfiber, and works well in eliminating grout and stains from surfaces.
- The mop pad material can be swapped for a replacement, or to attach a sturdier pad for deeper cleaning.
- You can use this steam mop on surfaces such as linoleum and hardwood floors quite comfortably.
- A switch for turning the brush roll on or off is found onboard the unit.
- In the case of the unit breakdown, you may need to return it in the original packaging to successfully claim repairs or warranty.
- The water cap may crack with time due to the temperatures involved, leading to leaking and rendering the device unusable.
7. SKG 1500W Multifunctional Cleaning Machine
This steam is specially designed with a triangular form factor for the mop head for efficient cleaning of corners while also sporting a swivel mechanism for gliding on such surfaces. It emits scalding steam at 212 F to sanitize your surfaces during cleaning and remove germs and allergens. This steam can be regulated through digital control to suit your needs as you go about cleaning. With this steam mop, you are assured of being able to completely remove grout and dried stains from your surfaces quite easily. It also features an additional 6 tools for cleaning different surfaces such as wood, tile and laminate floors, adding versatility to its list of characteristics. The water reservoir for this model has a capacity of 15oz and is thus able to support cleaning a fairly large surface area on one refill. The standby time for the device to become operational is 30 seconds, which is quick enough for an almost immediate start after powering.
- The unit’s mop head is triangular and features a swivel connection, making it easy to clean out corners more effectively.
- This steam mop heats water to 212F to provide scalding steam that is effective at sanitizing your surfaces.
- A large water reservoir on the steam mop makes it easy to clean and sanitize large areas on a single fill of the canister.
- The steam mop is highly agile, heating up quickly after powering it on, ready for cleaning.
- 6 additional tools for cleaning are provided with the steam mop to help clean various surfaces such as countertops and floors.
- The mop pads for this model are made from microfiber and can be removed to be washed after using the device.
- Steam levels can be adjusted as desired via a digital control knob found on the central unit.
- This unit ships while unassembled and may require some technical skill to get it up and running successfully.
- It is advised to use the steam mop with care, as it wholly made of plastic and may not be able to withstand excess stress.
8. Light ‘n’ Easy Multifunctional Steam Mop
Featuring automatic steam release via an inbuilt smart sensor, this steam mop is highly rated and for a good reason too. Heating steam for cleaning takes a mere 30 seconds, with the steam itself drying off your surface within seconds. It is fitted with a durable and washable microfiber cloth, which makes cleaning an easy task. The water reservoir is located at the Base of the unit to maximize the efficiency of steam release. This model also features an ergonomic handle which is very comfortable to grip as you use the appliance, and also serves for chord maintenance and wrap-up for storage. Effectively, this steam mop can be used to clean surfaces such as carpet, wood, laminate, and tile floors.
- An inbuilt sensor to automatically adjust the steam to catch-up to your mopping speed when cleaning makes this mop highly desirable.
- It heats up quickly to produce scalding steam to sanitize and remove germs from surfaces.
- Cleaning with this model is relatively easy, with the fitted microfiber cloth effectively trapping particles and debris. It may be removed, washed, and replaced after use.
- The water container is located at the bottom of the unit and works to maximize steam production.
- A highly ergonomic handle rounds up the build of the unit, and also nests quick and easy storage for the power chord for storage.
- This steam mop can be used quite effectively on carpet, wood, laminate and tile floors to keep them clean and radiant.
- Consider taking note of the unit’s base height if planning to store this steam mop under cabinets and see if it may fit.
- Being automatic, it only pumps steam when moved, and effort required to start the process will vary.
9. H2O mop x5
Packing a serious 1300watts, you will have enough steam to begin cleaning in seconds after switching on this steam mop. Not only can you clean glass, mirror, and floors with this steam mop, it shows great utility at cleaning carpets too while gliding easily. It can also convert to a hand-held steamer through the help of buttons just as quickly, and offer other services such as being a garment steamer when attached to an included add-on. Packing such utility, this steam mop proves to be handy for cleaning surfaces in your home and keeping them sanitized.
- It is high powered and works effortlessly to produce hot steam for cleaning and sanitization of surfaces.
- Floors, glass, and mirrors can be cleaned using this steam mop, and it glides easily on carpets to remove dust and allergens.
- This steam mop can quickly convert to a hand-held steamer through buttons and serve alternative purposes around your home. It also ships with an add-on to make it also serve as a garment
- steamer and eliminate the need for ironing your clothes.
- Due to its build material, this steam mop should be handled gently to avoid breaking the handle or mop head.
10. Cedar microfiber steam mop
Look no further than this steam mop model for near-instant device readiness to clean with scalding steam, in only 20 seconds. The produced steam can be adjusted as desired, effectively eliminating germs and allergens during sanitization. Go green with this steam mop which only uses water for the cleaning and does not require detergents which are known to be unfriendly to the environment. Weighing in at 5lbs, you will be hard-pressed to find a lighter model that will prove as agile at cleaning and sanitizing your surfaces. The mop head is triangular shaped to help you clean out corners more confidently. A microfiber cloth covers the unit’s bottom and is quite handy at trapping dislodging dirt and stains from your surfaces. This mop pad can be washed after use before storing the steam mop.
- This steam mop offers a quick heat-up time at 20 seconds, to produce superheated steam ready for cleaning and sanitization.
- It is fitted with a steam level regulation mechanism on-board for a custom cleaning experience.
- Sanitization is achieved through the steam’s natural ability to kill germs without the need for artificial cleaning solutions.
- At 5lbs, this steam mop is easy to handle and maneuver as you clean around your home.
- The mop pad is washable and made from microfiber, which works well to remove dirt and debris from surfaces.
- Demineralized water works best and is less likely to trigger clogging in the unit’s spouts for steam, compared to hard water.
- The heating could need proper care, and using the steam mop for extended periods could adversely affect their durability.
- The steam mop should be used with care on wood floors, as it may leave markings and streaking on the finishing due to the high steam temperatures during cleaning.
11. Bissell – Steam Shot Hard Surface Cleaner
Coming from a company that’s done a great job to establish itself in the very top of the steam-appliance business, this Steam Shot Bissell handheld steamer is a simple and practical cleaning contraption that can make cleaning everything from carpets to windows and your kid’s shit – a breeze!
The feature that makes this product, in particular, an interesting option would be the amount of high-pressure steam it can let out when you pull the trigger. These tiny steam particles then travel at a high velocity and are so able to penetrate deep into the fibers of whatever it is that you’re cleaning.
The power rating is a 1,000-Watts, which is plenty for a cleaning device this size. Also, the folks at Bissell incorporated into the design of this thing a fairly generously-long power cord of 20 feet, so that you can reach far and wide in your home, without the need to re-plug this thing every five minutes.
- Compact handheld design
- An impressive 1,000-Watt power rating
- 20-foot cord
- Comes with a variety of accessories
- The accessory brushes wear pretty quickly
- The water tank could have been a bit bigger
12. Dupray – Neat Steam Cleaner Multipurpose Heavy Duty Steamer
Featuring quite a tidy name (fairly suitable for a cleaning device, in all fairness), this Dupray steam-cleaning contraption represents a sort of device that you simply turn on and get to work. No additional settings required.
On the outside, this Dupray steam cleaner is a small white box with a single greenish button on the front, which you use to turn it on. Once it’s on, all you need to do is wait for a couple of moments for it to heat up the water and turn it into steam (shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to a minute), and then crack on cleaning what needs to be cleaned!
By the way, a single tank will grant you some 50 minutes of continuous cleaning, so you won’t need to worry about refills if you’re cleaning a larger room.
- Grants you some 50 minutes of continuous use
- Likable design
- Easy to use
- Integrated funnel
- 2-year warranty
- It takes 20 minutes to refill it
- The handle can get quite hot after a while
13. McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System
Cool-looking, powerful steam output, and it comes with a bunch of interesting accessories – what’s not to love? This McCulloch canister steam system represents a multi-purpose cleaning utensil that you can use for a wide variety of cleaning purposes.
To achieve the impressive cleaning results many of its users have been bragging about, this apparatus from McCulloch doesn’t require any chemicals. In fact, all it needs is some clean water, some electricity, and you’ll be able to set it off on its merry way!
(Of course, the water and the electricity need to come through their separate veins – otherwise, it will be a disaster.)
- Features variable steam control
- Does not use chemicals for its cleaning
- Comes with a large water tank
- 20 different accessories
- 18-foot long power cord
- Quite expensive
- Some users have complained about the quality of some of the accessories
4. Steamfast – Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
Boasting a powerful, 1,500-Watt motor, this cleaning apparatus from Steamfast is a must have contraption for anyone who lives in a large apartment or house that takes a long time to clean. (Or just a regular-size home that tends to get dirty quite often.)
Similarly to the product from above, this thing also doesn’t require any additional chemicals, as all it takes to clean it amounts to some water you can get from a tap or somewhere. The tank itself is quite large, so you won’t have to refill it all too often. (It’s every 45 minutes, for the record.)
- A 1,500-Watt motor
- 45-ounce water tank
- Does not require any chemicals for cleaning
- Comes with 15 versatile accessories
- Some customer have complained about the low quality of attachments
- Some customers have complained about poor customer support
15. Wagner Spraytech – On-Demand Steam Cleaner
Chemical-free cleaning, BUT it does require distilled water. That’s what you get with this Wagner Spraytech on-demand steam cleaner. That and a bunch of other useful stuff, actually.
For example, you will get several different attachments for it, which you can use to complete various cleaning tasks around the house with ease. For example, there’s the wallpaper-removing attachment, which you can use to, what else – remove wallpapers!
The steam will loosen the glue beneath the wallpaper itself, so once you’ve thoroughly gone over each and every nook and cranny of your wallpaper with steam, you can simply peel off the old stuff.
- Does not require any chemicals for cleaning
- Comes with a special attachment for wallpaper removals
- Can run up to 45 minutes continuously
- Attractive design
- Takes a long time to heat up
- Small water tank
16. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY – Steam Mop Floor Steamer Cleaner
As the name of the product itself suggests, cleaning with this steam mop can be considered light ‘n’ easy – that was probably the PR campaign for the thing in the first place. Well, considering the number of options you can work with when it comes to this contraption, it’d actually be difficult to make it more versatile. (Although that’s always possible, technically.)
This cleaning tool is packed with smart sensors and switches allowing you to control the flow of steam at a press of a sensor area. Also, thanks to some clever designing solutions from the LIGHT ‘N’ EASY folks, this model can be used as a handheld steamer, regular carpet steamer, or a clothes steamer – depending on how you fancy using it.
- Can be used on floors, garments, and sofas
- Detachable design (can be used as a handheld steamer)
- Digital control system
- Steam is ready in 30 seconds
- High, medium, and low settings
- The instruction sheets could have been written a bit better
- No water level indicator on the water tank
17. MLMLANT – Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
Even though the name of the company that made it doesn’t appear to be the most easy-to-pronounce one out there, this MLMLANT handheld pressurized steam cleaner is still a fairly easy cleaning tool to use.
No bigger than a pressure-cooking kettle, this MLMLANT steamer heats up the water you put into it in about 3 to 4 minutes, so you won’t really need to wait all that much before you can start cleaning. This particular utensil are best used for cleaning garments, windows, car parts, and similar surfaces. (It doesn’t really work well on floors.)
- Compact design
- Quick heat-up time
- Comes with a variety of accessories
- Comes with a 9.8-foot cord
- Can’t be used on carpets
- Small water tank
18. PurSteam World’s Best Steamers – Steam Mop Cleaner Therma Pro 10-in-1 Model
If you’re looking for a versatile, tough, and easy-to-handle cleaning contraption that can cover a wide array of your cleaning needs, this product from PurSteam may be just what you’ve been looking for.
Thanks to its powerful steam output, this contraption is perfectly capable of taking on any cleaning task you set before it. Whether it’s floors, windows, or even clothes, this mighty steam-spewing apparatus will be able to break through the fibers of the fabric in question and deliver a thorough and sanitary cleansing punch whenever you press the button for steam release!
(Of course, when it comes to glass, you can rest assured that the surface will be adequately taken care of, even though there aren’t any fibers there.)
- Ready to clean in 30 seconds
- Can be used as an upright OR handheld steamer
- Works on clothes and windows, too
- 2-year warranty
- A tad pricey
- Some of the attachments can start showing signs of wear and tear fairly early on
How to Choose Steam Mop- Buying guide
Take windows, for example. If they’re not treated often with chemical cleaning means and a tough squeegee, these beautiful see-through surfaces can become smudgy pieces of domestic glassy or ‘plexiglassy’ horror! Of course, it’s the same story with ceilings, pantries, doorways, hallways, your garage, and your floors. None of these areas and surfaces in your home will clean themselves, mind you.
In this article, we’re going to talk about floors, in particular, and how you can take care of your floors without any problems if only you can find it in your heart to buy a steam-spewing cleaning machine! Jokes aside, steam cleaners are getting more and more popular these days, and since there are so many different models from various manufacturers, we’ve made a list of the best 8 currently available on the market. Also, we’ve made a brief buyer’s guide, so that you can have a clearer idea of what to look for when buying one of these contraptions. Right then, folks, let’s see what we’ve got here, shall we?
Steam mops need to be powered to convert water in the reservoir to steam for cleaning. Currently, steam mops can either be powered directly from a power plug or by batteries. While electric-powered steam mops will function as long as you have power, the power chord may tangle and coil as you work through large spaces. Battery powered steam mops provide much more freedom when cleaning and are more portable in this regard. The price to pay for this agility and versatility is limited power supply as batteries only hold as much power, and when cleaning large areas, you may need to swap batteries in between the session.
Before you purchase a steam mop, you have to consider the kind of surface you are most likely and most frequently use it on. There are steam mop models that have specific cleaning mechanisms for different surfaces and tend to alleviate the need to manually switching the steam level setting to match the area being cleaned. Some steam models are fitted with sensors to detect the surface type and automatically change steam release for optimal cleaning. It is of note that its price mostly matches the degree of steam mop sophistication and gadgetry, and the top of the range steam mops usually cost several times more than regular models.
The time taken to convert water to steam is of great importance when selecting a steam mop. It dictates how quickly the appliance takes to be ready for use after switching it on. The current market standard for readiness is under a minute and should be taken into consideration when comparing steam mop models before purchase. An agile steam mop means that you do not get bored and psyched out of your cleaning mood while waiting for the appliance to be ready.
The shape of the mop head
Naturally, curved edges are easier to clean with conventional mops than corners and blocky edges. On this issue, steam mops are designed with various shapes intended to be a solution to this problem, with the triangular shape being touted as most effective at cleaning corners. Consider the surface you plan to clean most frequently and the objects sharing the same space. It may be prudent to get a triangular shaped steam mop if your floor and surfaces are mostly angular and too tight for regular shaped mops.
Size of canister
There are some good news and some bad news for folks who’d like to buy a cleaner for their home. (And the bad news is also sort of bitter-sweet good news, actually!) Namely, what we mean by this is that there are so many options to choose from, that you won’t really know which one to go with.
That’s right! – Whether you’re looking for a small, hand-held solution you can carry around and tackle messes around your house one at a time, or a bulky juggernaut of a cleaning contraption that you can use to clean your entire house in one mighty swoop, chances are – there’s a steam-based version of it. Since steam cleaners, in general, represent some of the simplest motorized cleaning utensils, so to speak, the designers making them have plenty of room to work with when it comes to their design. They can and are making them big, small, powerful, compact, with plenty of accessories, you name it – it’s in existence!
So, if you have a small apartment and only plan to clean it once in every couple of days, get a smaller model. For bigger houses, mansions, or in case you’re a professional cleaner – get a powerful model with a large tank and a long cord.
You only need water and power to have a steam mop up and seriously sanitizing your living space. The amount of steam you get is equally proportional to the amount of water in your canister, and the larger its capacity, the more steam you will have for cleaning. A small water reservoir will require frequent refilling during cleaning sessions, which sooner or later may become annoying. On the other hand, a large water canister means an increase in the overall weight of the unit.
Maintenance-wise, steam cleaners are pretty straightforward.
The thing is, since their working principle is so simple, they won’t really require you to perform elaborate cleaning sessions of the cleaner itself, or perhaps be forced to change any crucial parts along the way. (Of course, you’ll probably have to change the pads every couple of months or so, but those are dispensable.) The most important thing to figure out before starting to use your steam cleaner would be whether or not it runs on regular water, or on distilled water. If it does run on distilled water exclusively, you must not use tap water, because this can damage the filters and the nozzles inside the device itself.
On the other hand, if it can be used with just your regular tap water, even better – you won’t have to invest in distilled water!
Virtually all modern-day cleaning utensils come with an array of their own of, what else, cleaning accessories! Whether it’s special brushes for pet hair, narrow nozzles for car seats, squeegees for hard floors, or extension wands for reaching the ceiling and other far-off areas, there’ll certainly be a cleaner model out there that has what you need. Now, in order to figure out what to go for, what you might want to do is figure out what sort of arrangement you need in the first place. If you have a large apartment or house with plenty of nooks ‘n’ crannies to be taken care of, get a model with a long extension wand and different brushes for various surfaces.
Also, if you have a car, you might be interested in steam cleaners with special car seat nozzles. Pet brushes for pet owners – the list goes on.
Even though steam cleaners can’t really be described as some of the most dangerous machines out there, there are still some matters you have to take into consideration before you buy one. (Especially if you’ve got kids.)
While steam does wonders for clearing out dust, lice, mite, and other impurities out of your carpets, as well as hard surfaces, it also has got one potentially concerning property – it’s quite hot. If you’re not careful while handling it, you can get easily burnt. To take care of this, various manufacturers have devised different strategies to take care of this problem. Certain features such as automatic shut-offs and child safety features spring to mind as some of the inventive ways these steam cleaner designers have ventured to resolve these issues.
So, if you’re concerned about your and your kids’ and pets’ safety around one of these devices, look for models with the aforementioned features and you should be A-ok!
Steam cleaners come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. From small, hand-held contraptions you can take everywhere with you, to large bulky ones that can clean an 18-century Russian palace on a single water tank, you can get yourself whatever cleaning tool you so desire nowadays, really.
Now, as far as the cost is concerned, these would be roughly the features that determine how much you’d need to pay for a certain cleaning contraption, so to speak:
- Size of the water tank,
- The power rating of the heater,
- Different accessories it comes with,
- Safety features,
- How famous the brand in question is
The good thing here is, there’s a steam cleaner solution out there for any sort of pocket, so you won’t need to worry too much about adjusting your budget in order to buy one of these. There’s something for everyone out there on the market it seems!
All things considered, getting a cleaning job done and done quickly can only be achieved by using the proper tools for the job. Currently, steam-spewing cleaners are the crème de la crème of cleaning contraptions, so owning one is a must if you plan to take good care of your house’s hygiene. We hope you found this article helpful and wish you the best of luck with your cleaning ventures!
FAQ While Buying Steam Mop
1. Is steam cleaning better than mopping?
Mopping cleans your floors and surfaces using water with an absorbent material and does not remove germs and other allergens. Steam mops work by converting water to steam which is a natural sanitizer and dirt remover to make your floors free from bacteria and germs, with 99.9% efficiency. This makes your home safe, especially if you have kids or keep pets in the household.
2. Are steam mops good?
Steam mops are good cleaning equipment to have in your home as they are agile and versatile to fit most cleaning needs. Equipped with mop pads, they prove quite useful in removing stains, grime, and dried dirt from your surfaces easily and eliminate germs and bacteria which may cause diseases if left unchecked. They come in an array of shapes and sizes, and it is easy to find one that not only fits your requirements, but easily stores away in your storage space.
3. Are steam mops safe for wood floors?
It is prudent to note the type of floor that you have and the accompanying features before acquiring a steam mop. Thus said, most steam mops are marketed with information ability to clean sealed floors safely. This is still a point of contention as the heat involved during steam cleaning is considerably high and is likely to scald, scrape, and allow moisture to seep through the floor finishing. Seek the opinion of your floor installer or manufacturer to find out if your wood floor can withstand steam cleaning, although the chances are low that it may be safe.
4. Can steam kill mold?
Steam is usually hot enough to kill bacteria, germs and also eliminate mold from your surfaces. Steam can penetrate through surface pores, cracks and crevices to get to lodged dirt, germs and mold, and proves quite effective at sanitization even without additional cleaning solutions. Steam mop heads are usually covered in washable microfiber material that cleans and removes mold after sterilization of the surface by the steam mop.
5. Will steam cleaning remove odors?
Steam cleaning provides an ideal solution when removing dust, debris, and odors from surfaces around your home as steam permeates these surfaces to remove deep-set particles and odor components, especially from porous surfaces. Steam can help deodorize and neutralize the odor, as it lingers because it penetrates some surfaces around your home, and steam mops perform a deep cleaning to churn out the set odor from these surfaces.
6. Do steam mops hurt hardwood floors?
Finishing for hardwood floors are usually not resistant to water and other cleaning solutions that are used on regular floors, and may diminish in radiance and shine over time. Also, the heat involved in steam cleaning may create an opening in your hardwood floor, which may let steam to get through to the underlying wood layer and consequently damage your floor. Be sure to consult your hardwood manufacturer to get concise details about steam cleaning your floor.
7. How do you steam clean floors?
Starting with a clean floor, steam cleaning is a fairly easy process. It involves filling the water reservoir with water and maybe some cleaning solution depending on your steam mop model. The filter needs to be clean before you start cleaning using the steamer, and you will need to wait for roughly a minute after switching it on for the appliance to be ready to use. Glide it over surfaces to be cleaned for 99.9% sanitization and elimination of germs and bacteria from your living space, and safe for both humans and pets at home.
Your home should be a safe environment for all occupants, and a steam mop assures you peace of mind when it comes to home cleanliness. The best part about this appliance is that it is still effective even without adding detergents or cleaning solution, thus being an eco-friendly cleaning option if you are environmentally conscious about your carbon footprint. Steam mops are also diverse, and some even transform to provide additional features such as doubling as garment steamers. With a steam mop at home, you can rest assured that no dirt, bacteria, and allergen will survive the wrath of steam cleaning, rendering your space free from disease-causing agents.
Accumulated dirt, dust, and God knows what else can start representing a proper problem if it’s not addressed in time, so in order to make sure your home will be as clean as a whistle and sanitarily sound, so to speak, making sure you clean every part of your house in detail is of utmost importance!