Do you find it annoying and difficult to deal with food scraps or leftovers in your kitchen? The waste of food, if not handled correctly, can cause health problems. You need to find a convenient way to get rid of food waste in your kitchen.
Putting food down the drain is a modern convenience; thanks to a garbage disposer’s ability to grind food small enough so it doesn’t clog your drains. On this article we will tell you how you can find a best garbage disposal machine for your home.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Garbage & Waste Disposals Units
Things to Know Before Purchasing a Best Waste Disposal
When installing a garbage disposal in your home you should have several aspects in mind. We explain them to you:
A continuous-feed disposal is exactly what it sounds like. After flipping a switch to turn the disposal on, food can continuously be added. The food is grinded into small enough pieces to fit in through the holes between the disposal unit and the bottom plate. Once they’re small enough to fit through, the food is flushed down with running water.
Using a batch-feed disposal is actually quite simple. After putting food into the drain, you seal the drain with the stopper that should have came with the disposal. As soon as you turn the stopper, the disposal is activated and then works the same way the continuous-feed disposal works.
Septic Tank Specific Disposal
If you have a home with a septic system, you’re required to have a specific type of garbage disposal. This type of disposal works the same way that a continuous-feed disposal works, but this disposal also has a special cartridge that is used to break down the grease and soap that can build up in the system. Also, a microorganism is added to help break down food waste.
So now that you know the types of garbage disposals there are, you have to decide what you’re looking for in a garbage disposal. Here are a few things to consider:
The size of the motor is the most important part to think about when purchasing garbage disposal. The motor size of garbage disposal is rated in horsepower. The higher the horsepower you have, the more powerful your disposal will be. If you are a little rough at your disposal, you’ll want one with a higher horsepower.
The grinding chamber is where all the hard work happens. If you have a garbage disposal with a smaller motor, your grinding chamber will be smaller, as well. Some garbage disposals have stainless steel grinding chambers, which they claim to stay cleaner, but stainless steel tends to break, so make sure you do your research before dishing out the money for stainless steel.
Let’s be honest; nobody likes the sound of a garbage disposal. There are some disposals that come with sound-proofing technology to eliminate the harsh grinding sound. If you want a quieter disposal, you might want to get one with a larger motor. Once again, just make sure you do your research.
Here are Our Top 10 Picks of Garbage Disposal Units
The Waste King 1.0 Horsepower Garbage Disposal is perfect for all of your needs. If you’re replacing your previous garbage disposal, then you want to go with the Waste King. The new snap and lock mount make it extremely easy to replace most existing garbage disposals. The Exclusive Silencer Technology is made out of the same material that is used to soundproof music studios, so you’re sure to have a quiet experience. The Waste King’s One Pass technology provides more power per pound than comparable garbage disposals. The 2700 RPM motor will have no problem breaking through any of the food you need to put down it. Leftover ham from Christmas? No problem This motor can handle it. All it needs is 115 volts, 60 Hertz, and 7.0 current-amps to run properly. This is continuous feed disposal, so to reduce jamming the Waste King Knight comes with stainless steel runners that are capable of breaking up anything.
- The Waste King comes with a limited mechanical warranty, so if the disposal has any kind of material or mechanical defect, it will be replaced free of charge. It also comes with a lifetime warranty against corrosion.
- Speaking of corrosion, the grinding components in the Waste King Knight are made of glass-filled nylon, so you won’t have to worry about corrosion at all!
- The Waste King Knight comes with the optional expert installation. The installation will be provided by a local professional. They’ll take out your old disposal and mount your brand new Waste King Knight.
The InSinkErator is the longest running garbage disposal company. Throughout the years they have continuously improved their product, and the InSinkErator Evolution Compact is no disappointment. The ¾ horsepower Dura-Drive Induction motor comes complete with MultiGrind technology. The two grind stages promise that it can completely pulverize any difficult food that you wouldn’t want to put in any ordinary garbage disposal, such as fruit and vegetable peels and small bones. Speaking of grinding, the grind chamber can hold up to 36.4 ozs of food at one time. That’s more room than most garbage disposals are capable of holding. The Quick Lock Sink Mount allows the homeowner to replace most three-bolt mounting assemblies with almost no effort. In case you put a little too much food inside of this garbage disposal, there is a manual reset button, so there’s no need to worry about overloading to the point of it breaking.
- The Evolution Compact comes with SoundSeal Technology, which has advanced sound insulation and anti-vibration components.
- The grind chamber and its components are made out of stainless steel so they should last much longer.
- The Evolution Compact comes with a “We Come To You” 4-Year In-Home Limited Warranty, which includes free house calls to repair, replace, or install your garbage disposal.
The InSinkErator Badger 5 garbage disposal will not disappoint you. If you’re concerned with space and affordability, this garbage disposal is the best choice for you. The patented Quick Lock sink mount allows you to get rid of your old garbage disposal and install the Badger 5 with ease. If this is your first time installing a garbage disposal, don’t fret. Everything you need to install it can be found in the box, including the instructions! The Badger 5 is a continuous feed garbage disposal, so you can get the dirty job done much faster than normal. The ½ Dura-Drive motor ensures that the Badger 5 will be able to handle anything that you need to throw at it, such as those leftovers that have been sitting there way too long, egg shells, and stalks of celery. The Badger 5 is made out of stainless steel, so it will complement your brand new stainless steel sink very nicely.
- The Badger 5 comes with an exclusive “We Come to You” 2-year in-home limited warranty, so any time you need it fixed, or replaced, you’ve got it covered.
- This garbage disposal comes with plenty of room with its 26 oz grind chamber.
- This garbage disposal is turned on with a convenient wall switch control.
The Waste King Legend is the only garbage disposal you’ll ever need. This continuous feed disposal is turned on by a power switch on the wall. All you need to do is flip that switch and stand by to watch the magic happen. The powerful ½ horsepower motor has 2600 RPMS and can grind up your food in no time at all. The motor has a permanent magnet that allows it to achieve full speed almost instantaneously, which means the possibility of it jamming is greatly reduced. Are you a bit worried about the installation? Maybe you’ve never installed one before, but the Waste King Legend has an EZ mount twist-and-lock design that allows you to install your new garbage disposal with ease. One of the best parts about the Waste King Legend is that you don’t need any kind of electrical experience. The pre-installed power cord ensures that there is absolutely no electrical work required.
- The removable splash guard makes for an extremely easy cleaning experience.
- Don’t worry about jamming up the Waste King Legend with too much food. The manual reset button will get you of any kind of jam.
- The 5-year Limited In-Home Warranty makes sure that you’re covered if your Waste King Legend breaks or malfunctions.
You can stop searching for a garbage disposal right now. The Waste King Legend has some incredible power pumping through it. The Knight provides more power per pound than any other garbage disposal with its 1.0-horsepower motor. The 2700 RPM motor is able to break through the toughest of waste, like eggshells and vegetable peelings. The Snap and Lock Mount technology of the Waste King Legend Series 1HP allow you to replace your previous garbage disposal with no problem at all. Everyone knows how loud garbage disposals can be, but not this one. The Exclusive Silencer Technology in the Waste King Legend is made out of the same material that is used to soundproof music studios. No more loud grinding sounds with this garbage disposal! The Waste King is a continuous feed disposal, so there’s no more wait time getting all of your waste grinded up. You can continuously feed it in there while it’s running!
- The grinding chamber in the Waste King is made out of glass-filled nylon, so you don’t need to worry about any of the parts corroding over time.
- If something happens to this garbage disposal in your lifetimes, such as a material or mechanical defect, then it will be replaced in your home at no cost to you!
- No need to have any electrical experience to install. The pre-installed powered cord means that this garbage disposal doesn’t require any type of electrical work.
The InSinkErator PRO750 is the perfect garbage disposal for people that don’t have enough space under their cabinets. It’s not only the absolutely perfect size for an apartment, but it’s also 40% quieter than most standard garbage disposals. The sound seal that it comes with, as well as the Quiet Collar Sink Baffle, provide you with an extremely quiet experience, so there’s no need to worry about irritating your neighbors every time you need to get rid of your waste. The grinding chamber has a total of two grind stages. This allows you to grind up all of your leftovers in no time at all. No more standing in the kitchen for 15 minutes trying to grind up everything after a huge Thanksgiving dinner, which is perfect when you can’t stand looking at turkey anymore. If you have some electrical experience then this garbage disposal would be the right choice for you. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a power cord, so you’ll need to know what you’re doing.
- This garbage disposal is great for smaller households that can’t get other disposals because they’re too big for their cabinets.
- This disposal was made exclusively in the United States for professional plumbing contractors.
The Whirlpool GC2000XE could be the right garbage disposal for you if you want something that works effortlessly and efficiently. This garbage disposal is a continuous feed disposal, so you can constantly put food down without having to worry about stopping to let it do its job. In fact, this disposal comes with an overload protector, entirely with a manual reset button just in case it ends up getting clogged. You really can’t get a garbage disposal that requires so little effort. The process of getting rid of your leftovers is fast, easy, and convenient to clean up. The Whirlpool GC2000XE runs on a ½ horsepower motor. The grinding wheel and shredder ring are made out of galvanized steel, so there’s no need to worry about them breaking. The sink flange is made out of stainless steel and contains a one-piece plastic stopper, so don’t fret about it rusting or corroding over the years.
- This garbage disposal comes with an expert installation option, so if you don’t feel comfortable doing the work, a local professional will come and do it for you free of charge.
- The Whirlpool GC2000XE comes with a convenient dishwasher hookup.
- Don’t worry about having a difficult time installing this garbage disposal. The instructions are clear and the installation should be a pretty simple process.
The Moen GX Series garbage disposal has an incredible amount of power behind it. The ½ horsepower, 2600 RPM, Vortex motor has incredible grinding capabilities that can grind up just about anything you need to get rid of, including small bones and eggshells. The high-performance permanent magnet motor was designed to decrease the chances of any jamming. Are you sick of waking up the dead with your current garbage disposal? If so, then this garbage disposal was made for you. The Moen GX Series was made with SoundShield technology, which provides a sound deadening insulation. It may be an extremely powerful motor, but it sure doesn’t sound like one. If you don’t have a lot of space to spare underneath your cabinets you might want to consider purchasing this Moen. This garbage disposal is extremely lightweight and compact, so there’s no need to worry about it fitting in the space that you have.
- This Moen comes with a Universal Xpress Mount system, so that means you can replace most 3-bolt mounting assemblies.
- What you see is what you get. The Moen comes with a power cord, so you don’t have to spend any extra money getting it installed.
- If something were to happen to this garbage disposal, it’s covered under the 4-year limited warranty with in-home service guarantees.
If you want a heavy duty garbage disposal, then the GE GFC525V garbage disposal is most definitely for you. The permanent magnet motor runs on ½ horsepower and has over 2800 RPMs of intense grinding action. The high RPM and high torque allow you to grind food much finer and much faster, which is a great thing since that means it’s a lot less likely to jam up on you. And don’t you worry about this garbage disposal corroding after years of use. The stainless steel dual-swivel grinder blades will prevent that from happening. The blades are also anti-jam, so you have more time to do other things instead of reaching into your garbage disposal to unclog it. Another great part about this disposal is the sink flange, which allows water and waste to slide safely through your pipes. Also, this garbage disposal has a large capacity so you can take care of all of your waste at one time.
- The drain boost technology helps keep your drain free from any food waste and allows the water to run in the correct direction.
- The angled fin pumps water, and food through the pipes with a much higher speed and pressure, so you don’t need to worry about messy backups.
- Having a loud garbage disposal, is in your past. The sound reduction package comes with a fully insulated sound shell, so there’s no need to worry about the noise anymore.
The Frigidaire FFDI501DMS GrindPro is perfect if you have a tight amount of cabinet space to us. This garbage disposal was designed with space-saving in mind. Not only is it quite compact, but it’s extremely lightweight, as well. The GrindPro has a continuous feed operation, which means you can continuously feed waste into it while it’s running, with a wall switch control that is directly wired to your garbage disposal. It’s also safe for any kind of septic system that you may have. The GrindPro runs off of a ½ horsepower motor, which gives it the power, speed, and pressure to grind up anything you need to put down it, including small bones and vegetable peelings. Don’t worry about this garbage disposal jamming up on you. The high-torque GrindPro has a magnet motor that will prevent jamming from happening, and it uses much less water and electricity doing so.
- The splash guard prevents food from being splashed out while it’s in use.
- The sound guard provides you with a quiet experience. Nobody likes the loud grinding sound that comes with most garbage disposals.
- The stainless steel grinding chamber allows you to be care-free when it comes to your garbage disposal corroding over time.
Buying Guide of Waste Disposal
Grinding and deposit function
The key to a good garbage disposal is in your grinding system, since this is what establishes both the waste treatment capacity and other parameters of interest such as the type of food that can be treated and the corresponding noise level.
To begin it is important to check that the power of the product is high, depending also on the capacity of the crushing tank, since this is the key to be able to crush all kinds of food. The greater the power the smaller the result of this crushing will be and the greater the capacity to be able to reduce drier and harder residues efficiently.
The capacity of the deposit is another important issue when buying the product. The grinding deposit has a specific capacity that establishes for how many users the product is recommended. As a sample, a team with a capacity of one liter is suitable for 3 people, while those of 4 people offer capacities from approximately 1.2 liters. Keep it in mind when buying.
Within this grinding function we can not forget to talk about the generated noise. Fortunately, current models have greatly reduced the level of loudness in operation, so today’s product is much quieter. However, it is something that should be evaluated to avoid that each session of crushed remains implies having to put some ear plugs.
Since this product deals with water and garbage, check that the materials with which the equipment is manufactured are adapted to this type of use. In particular the most common materials in the manufacture of these appliances are the stainless steel for the interior and the grinding device and the PVC for the plastic elements.
In any case it is very important that the grinding devices, both the tank and the crusher itself, are made of quality metallic materials. We think that these materials are going to be subjected to high tensions, to a continuous contact with humidity and to be used against remains, sometimes of high hardness, which causes them to be damaged if they are not suitable.
Something similar happens with the necessary plumbing connections, both to hold the crusher and to connect it to the water outlet. Nowadays PVC is the most modern, light and resistant product with which connections and plumbing works can be made, also offering a flexible design that absorbs the vibrations of the product. Any other material could deteriorate or loosen if it is not of sufficient quality for this work.
Installation of the product
One of the keys to be able to have an efficient shredder is the installation of the equipment. In principle, this installation is as simple as placing it under the sink, connecting it to the electrical network and to the drain of the kitchen and start grinding. However, it is convenient to see some previous elements that guarantee an easy installation.
On the one hand it is necessary to see that the connection measures correspond with those of the sink, so that we do not have to use additional elements. Also check that the connection elements are preferably PVC and fit properly, to avoid water and dirt leaks when installing it.
On the electric side, the most recommended models are those that include a conventional plug, as they are safer and save us having to go looking for splice to connect to the power. Check that the plug is European type, because if it is English type you will have to add an adapter to your shopping list.
Finally we can not forget the space available, so that the larger the garbage disposer chosen, the smaller the space available in the lower part of the sink will be. Keep it in mind not only because you have enough space for it, but above all to avoid running out of space under the sink if the product is too large
Now, let’s take a look at why you should put a garbage disposal in your home.
● They’re Affordable
It can cost quite a large amount of money to have a plumber come out and unclog your drains for you. Waste that accidentally gets shoved down the drain can become a huge problem.Having a dust disposal greatly reduces the need to have to spend money on a plumber.
● They’re Easy to Clean
All you have to do is rinse off the motor and it is clean. You can even do this if your garbage disposal gets clogged!
●They Get Rid of Bad Smells
When you have food sitting in your pipes they begin to emit a horrible odor after some time passes. The food is literally rotting in your pipes. Having a garbage disposal completely eliminates this from happening. Waste is grinded up into small pieces and immediately brought down the drain. It doesn’t have time to linger and start stinking up your house.
● They’re Good for the Environment
Most of the waste sitting in landfills is food waste. Having a garbage disposal allows you to get rid of the waste in a more environmentally friendly manner. Garbage disposals also make people stop using plastic bags to throw away waste, which is absolutely fantastic for the environment.
Advantages of a garbage disposal for your home
There are many advantages that can bring you a garbage disposal for your home, for your kitchen, for your restaurant … below we detail some of them.
- Cleaning. With a garbage disposal you can turn the food waste into liquid to pour down the sink drain. Therefore, one of the main advantages of using a garbage disposer is that the waste in the bin is considerably reduced.
- Healthiness Garbage cans with organic waste such as food waste are one of the main sources of batteries and insects. With the garbage disposal you will dump the waste through the sink and you will have a more hygienic and ecological home.
- Comfort. Are those daily trips to the dumpster heavy? According to manufacturers, up to 60% of the garbage that accumulates each day in the home comes from organic waste and food waste. Thanks to a garbage disposal you will reduce considerably the amount of garbage generated in your home and you will avoid a trip to the container.
Follow these simple directions and you’ll have a brand new garbage disposal to use in absolutely no time.
- First, make sure the circuit breaker in your kitchen is turned off. Put a bucket underneath the P-trap and disconnect your drain pipes. The sink strainer needs to come out next and any excess putty needs to be removed.
- You need to put putty along the flange of the new drain and press it into place. Put a towel in the sink and put the disposal on the flange to make sure it doesn’t move.
- Under your sink stack the fiber gasket, backup flange, and mounting ring and slide them underneath the flange. Pull open the snap ring and snap it into place. Tighten all the screws and remove any excess putty.
- Use a hammer to knock out the dishwasher drain and remove the plug from the inlet on the disposal.
- Remove the wire cover and connect all of the wires according to color. Push the wires back in and put the plate back on.
There you have it! That wasn’t hard, was it? Now you have a perfect garbage disposal to eliminate all of the food waste in your home!
Hopefully, after reading this, you decided to install a garbage disposal in your own home. Not only will you be helping the environment by eliminating the amount of waste that you put into the landfill, but you’ll also put more money in your pocket by reducing the risk of clogging up your drains by accidentally putting food down your pipes. Also, you can eliminate that horrible smell of food festering in your pipes. Just remember what to look for when you purchase your garbage disposal, and how to install it, and you’ll be on your way to a new way of getting rid of your food waste!