Using a vacuum cleaner is the best way to successfully remove dust and dirt particles from floors. It is considered highly effective unlike sweeping and dusting where airborne particles settle back on the same surfaces after a while. Vacuum cleaners hardly raise any particles into the air and work by sucking them into the built-in dirtbag or container for safe disposal after clean-up. Some models also come with a blowing mechanism from the main unit in case you want to blow dust from surfaces, preferably outside the house or in well-ventilated spaces.
- Factors to Consider when Buying Hardwood Floor Vacuum
- Top 12 Hardwood Floor Vacuum Reviews
- Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
- Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass
- Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E
- Eureka Mighty Mite Vacuum Cleaner
- Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet (NV752) Upright Vacuum
- Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Lightweight Commercial Canister Vacuum
- Bissell Deluxe Canister Vacuum
- Miele Complete Canister
- Dirt Devil Bagless Vacuum
- Kenmore Elite Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Bissell Zing Canister Vacuum
- Are vacuums safe for hardwood floors?
- Is it best to sweep or vacuum hardwood floors
- What’s the best vacuum for hardwood floors and pet hair?
- Do vacuum cleaners scratch hardwood floors?
- Do vacuums damage hardwood floors?
- Should I sweep or vacuum first?
- How often should you vacuum wood floors?
- What should you clean first?
Factors to Consider when Buying Hardwood Floor Vacuum
There are a few factors to consider when acquiring a vacuum cleaner that will suit your needs.
- Think about the surface you will be cleaning most often: is it tiled, carpeted or a wooden floor? Vacuum cleaners tend to vary in terms of the surface they’re meant to clean, hence different working mechanisms across models. Canister and stick vacuums are a good solution to clean hardwood floors as they do not scratch the finishing on these surfaces.
- Carpets, on the other hand, trap debris, dust and dirt particles much more easily and may require heavy duty vacuums that have a beater bar equipped with bristles to loosen up these particles, ready to be sucked into the vacuum by suction.
- Other features to consider when buying a vacuum cleaner include the length of the cords (where applicable), battery capacity is powered by batteries or charged, weight and stability, inbuilt dirt trapping mechanism as well as dirt expulsion method when emptying and cleaning the unit.
- Some models include LED lights to illuminate the surface being cleaned, with others going as far as having sensors that detect and locate dirty areas to make sure you do not miss a spot.
Experts Picks: Top 5 Vacuum Cleaner for Hardwood Floors
Top 12 Hardwood Floor Vacuum Reviews
Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
- 3-IN-1: Simpli-Stik’s easily transforms to whatever you need: a stick vac, a hand vac, or an extended hand vac; Dirt cup capacity: 0.35 liters
- EASY TO USE: Take the chore out of cleaning with this lightweight, ready-when-you-are bagless stick vacuum cleaner – Even from right out of the box
This vacuum cleaner boasts of a stick vacuum, a hand vacuum and an extended vacuum. All packed in one highly portable device. The stick vacuum consists of a handle and a base setup, which snap easily together in place to give you complete control when cleaning large expanses around your home. The hand vacuum is pretty easy to lift off the surface and tackle the occasional mess, dust or crumbs all over your space. The extended vacuum features a special tool for cleaning hard-to-reach crevices around the house which will save you from much agony and procrastination. This versatility is coupled with unmatched lightness at 3.8lb, for easy cleaning runs which will be a relief to your body.
- This model combines an extended vacuum and a hand vacuum, to make a sturdy stick vacuum that caters for easy cleaning.
- The vacuum cleaner is ready to use straight from packing and does not require additional setup or technical expertise to get the unit up and running.
- Each function of the unit is relatively easy to use and very straightforward in its application.
- For quick clean-up and even extended use in cleaning large areas, this vacuum easily delivers on its purpose.
- The fitted filter is easy to access and can be removed, rinsed and dried before the next use.
- Long periods of using the device during cleaning may result in its heating up all around its body, rendering it hot to touch.
- The suction mechanism in the main unit may slowly wear down over time, reducing its efficiency.
- The fitted filter model that comes with the unit may prove a little difficult to find a replacement for in the market in case you need a spare one.
Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass
- Fast and easy cleaning in a lightweight vacuum with powerful suction and innovative brush design that cleans more on the initial pass
- Innovative brush design rotates down into the carpet to clean more on the initial pass
This bagless vacuum cleaner model presents a lightweight cleaning solution, complete with suction built to assure maximum pickup of dust particles in the initial run. It has a novel brush design that works flawlessly to loosen and detach debris, cleaning surfaces to your satisfaction. A special tool that can be used for cleaning special surfaces such as upholstery and stairs is integrated into the main unit. The dirt bag used with this model features several filtration levels and is easy to remove and empty. The foam filter tank can also be washed to assure an extended life of the unit. For cleaning areas that may be out of normal reach, look no further than the turbo brush, crevice tool and upholstery brush that form part of this model, adding to its versatility.
- The suction in this model is great and works well in tackling pet fur embedded in surfaces around your home.
- The brush design is perfect for loosening particles for pickup into its dirt cup, minimizing runs for complete unit clean-up.
- It features a turbo brush, a crevice tool and an upholstery brush to clean hard-to-reach areas of your space much more easily.
- Dust levels are kept to a minimum during cleaning operations, through a series of filters inside the main unit.
- An easy to remove and empty dirt bag on the main unit provides a seamless emptying process.
- This model features a short hose which may prove challenging when cleaning large surface expanses.
- It is delivered unassembled and may require a little patience and know-how as well as additional tools to properly set it up for the initial run.
Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- NEW ITEM AVAILABLE: Linx product line will be discontinued from the Manufacturer. Please visit the Hoover ONEPWR Evolve Pet (BH53420PC) page for the new version
- EXTREME RECLINE HANDLE: Reach further without having to move any furniture around
If you’re looking for a highly portable vacuum cleaner that uses easily replaceable batteries instead of power cords then look no further than this model. A low reclining handle and bristles for surface edges gives you the power to easily clean remote areas within your living space. The suction in this device simulates wind tunnel technology, and works fantastically to remove deeply seated dirt and debris from any surfaces you may want to keep clean. The battery power is easily monitored by a fuel gauge mounted on the unit. Collected dirt is held in a cup that releases at the bottom for a stress-free emptying experience.
- Really good for use on hardwood floors, with rubber wheels that do not scuff your surfaces.
- No cord that tangles as your vacuum and cleans your living space, which equates to more versatility in cleaning large areas.
- The handle reclines really low, and coupled with the edge-cleaning bristles make for easy cleaning of inaccessible areas or surfaces.
- Powerful suction from the motors in the unit caters for effective pick-up during cleaning.
- Battery level is easily monitored from a fuel gauge that is mounted on the unit.
- The battery power may wear out in time. Additionally, it is not advisable to leave the battery in the unit when not in use.
- It may prove a little difficult to clean the unit’s filter, baffle tube and dirt cup after use without making a mess.
- Dust cup capacity - 2.5 liters. Ideal for quick and efficient cleaning
- Convenient for home and auto
This vacuum cleaner model provides a state-of-the-art dirt and dust trapping technology inside the main unit for unmatched cleaning experience. Its light weight, and powerful suction make for versatility that is bound to make your cleaning process a breeze. The fitted pre-motor foam and filters do not require regular cleaning, but are wash friendly to provide extended unit performance. Remote areas can easily be cleaned with the click of a button, which lifts the canister for you to reach all those inaccessible surface areas in your living space.
- It has a light weight for easy maneuvering, while still being powerful enough to glide over surfaces and not require pushing.
- This model is easy to assemble upon receipt from shipping, with no tools needed for setting it up for its initial use.
- The canister lifting mechanism is handy when reaching for reaching remote areas, assuring you of effective dirt and dust removal.
- Extra tools for specialized cleaning ship with the unit, and are painless to change and fix onto the main unit in their respective ports.
- The unit itself is low maintenance and does not necessarily require cleaning after each cleaning episode.
- This model blows hot air, and may be uncomfortable to use when cleaning small unventilated spaces.
- The weight of the top unit renders the whole unit to be a little bit unstable, and may require detaching the top weight to avoid the whole unit from toppling over.
- The vacuum head may not be as wide as other competitor designs, providing a smaller coverage during cleaning.
Eureka Mighty Mite Vacuum Cleaner
- Dust cup capacity 2.2 quarts; Lift away; Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard to reach areas
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology plus a HEPA filter; Traps 99.9 percent of dust and allergens inside the vacuum
If you’re looking to buy a vacuum cleaner that will help improve both your speed, and efficiency, when cleaning any surfaces around your home, then look no further. It packs a strong suction, a crevice tool, upholstery dusting nozzle and a carpet brush for an all-round cleaning solution. In addition, the unit features 2 extensions for the stick which help when working on inaccessible areas by extending the active tool to the desired length. The canister holds a dirt bag that is triple filtered for effective debris collection and dirt trapping. This model also includes a blower function, through a port located at the back of the canister.
- The unit’s body is made from thick and durable plastic, and the attached wheels are sturdy, complementing its utility.
- The cord and hose is long enough to ensure maximum usability while eliminating tangling and kinking.
- A sliding piece on the unit head is used to regulate the suction power as desired, which is more than adequate for regular and effective cleaning.
- It is fitted with a strong filter that ensures dirt and dust does not escape through the back of the main unit, making it airborne.
- This model features a metallic wand for extension to reach remote areas during cleaning.
- Standard tools for the unit include a crevice tool, upholstery dusting nozzle and a carpet brush for an all-round cleaning solution.
- You may need to inspect the model to make sure that all attachments fit snugly in their respective ports upon receipt of the unit, to avoid having to return it.
- The metallic extension that ships natively with the unit is a little weighty owing to its material, and may tire your arms if using for long periods.
Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet (NV752) Upright Vacuum
- Shark's Original Full-sized Powered Lift-Away: the pod detaches to deep-clean hard-to-reach areas while still delivering power to keep the brushroll spinning.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology: with a HEPA filter trap over 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
This is a full-sized vacuum cleaner that offers a detachable canister, which lifts away to help clean inaccessible areas all around your living space. Controls to customize the cleaning experience are handy and located where your fingers rest, complete with a switch to change both the suction power and cleaning mode. The filter fitted in the main unit provides superior dust trapping ability for all allergens and particles. Its nozzle and handle are fitted with LED lights to illuminate the surface as you clean, and maneuvering the unit is a pleasant experience as it uses a dynamic technology for swivel steering.
- The unit completely captures and seals trapped dust and dirt particles inside the main unit, which is just as easy to expel during emptying.
- Bright LED lights fitted on the cleaning head make it easy to spot locations that require cleaning even in dimly lit spaces.
- The controls located at the unit’s handle are handy, well positioned and easy to use to change between cleaning modes as required.
- Swivel steering technology makes it a pleasure to maneuver the unit along the surfaces when cleaning.
- The handle and the nozzle tool also feature LED lights that come in handy when illuminating remote crevices and surfaces that need to be cleaned.
- The beater bar that is fitted on this model’s unit is not covered by the warranty and may result in incurring extra costs to repair it in case of failure.
- It has a short hose that still has a knack of getting quickly twisted when removed to clean expansive areas.
- The canister tends to be heavy to hold for extended periods of cleaning.
Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Lightweight Commercial Canister Vacuum
- ABOVE FLOOR CLEANING: Use the stretch hose to extend your cleaning reach into tight spaces vacuums cannot reach upright, easily cleaning above-floor and in-between for detailed cleaning
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing only 8 pounds, carry it by hand or over your shoulder, enabling easy maneuverability and helping to minimize downtime.
This commercial vacuum cleaner boasts of a compact form which enables you to clean tight and cramped spaces, as well as a blower function that is built-in as an additional function. Its 33″ cable is long enough for cleaning large areas, and the unit also features a reusable bag made of cloth which can be substituted with a paper dust bag. It is light to carry and is designed to prevent fatigue even after using the unit for extended periods during cleaning. This model features a power control switch button for handy operation and controlling the intensive suction power provided by the unit as required. The cleaning hose extends easily to provide access to remote areas you may need to clean.
- It is compact, and the recommended solution for cleaning tiny spaces or inaccessible areas.
- The provided cloth bag is reusable and can be swapped for a paper dust bag for cleaning different materials.
- The shoulder strap makes it easy to use the hose extension comfortably especially during long cleaning runs.
- The unit is supplied with a long power cord that provides for cleaning large areas without having to relocate the plug.
- Powering the machine on and off is done with a switch that can also change the suction power setting.
The cord clip for securing it to the main unit may occasionally run loose, and cause the cord to fall.
Horse may be a little tense to stretch out wholly to full capacity, and may cause the canister to slide when forcefully pulled.
Extended use of the unit may cause the emission of a burning plastic smell.
Bissell Deluxe Canister Vacuum
- Dirt cup capacity - 1.0 liter. Powerful, Yet Cleans Delicately To Protect Your Floor Surfaces
- Non Marking Rubber Wheels With Felt Treads. Power Rating: 7 Amps
A powerful and yet light complement for your cleaning endeavors, this vacuum cleaner will impress you with its versatility, gentleness, and agility. The fitted wheels do not mark or scuff any surface you need to clean, and are additionally covered with felt for easy rolling. Controls for the unit are conveniently placed at your finger tips to control both powering on and off, as well as controlling the mode settings for the suction level. Dirt-bag emptying is relatively easy, as the unit opens at the bottom to provide a mess-free removal procedure. The unit also features a wand extension to increase the reach during dusting.
- This model is relatively quiet during operation and the adjustable suction works effectively to remove particles from surfaces.
- The dirt canister is very easy to clean and opens at the bottom for effortless emptying when it gets full.
- Felt tread-covered wheels do not mark or scuff surfaces, and make the unit roll along smoothly during cleaning.
- Fingertip controls provided handy control during use, including a power switch and provision to change the cleaning mode settings on the fly.
- An easy to empty dirt tank means more control over the process and reduced chances of making a mess while cleaning the unit itself.
- The hose can be extended to reach remote, obstructed or high surfaces for maximum dirt and dust particles removal around your living space.
- The fitting ports for additional accessories onto the main unit may not be compatible across models, hence check to see if add-ons that you may wish to use are supported before purchase.
- Suction levels provided by the unit may experience reduced efficiency over time, especially with irregular usage of the device.
- Maintenance includes cleaning out the dirt cup, cyclone, nozzle and filters to maintain suction, and may be required frequently in-between cleaning for maximum effectiveness during the cleaning procedure.
Miele Complete Canister
- FilterBag volume - 4.5 litres
- Power source type: Corded Electric
This vacuum cleaner model provides unmatched utility with its self-adjusting suction depending on the surface being cleaned. The fitted brush is electrically powered, and comfortable to use on all types of surfaces, highlighting the unit’s versatility. Cleaning with this model is a relatively easy task with agility in the form of a 180-degree rotating head attached to a swivel neck. An upholstery tool, a dusting tool, and a crevice nozzle are bundled as on-board accessories to use when fitted to the main unit. It also features an extensible steel wand, an air-tight dust sealing system, and LED lights on the cleaner head to increase visibility on surfaces being cleaned.
- This vacuum cleaner features an automatic suction self-adjustment mechanism depending on the surface being cleaned which proves to be highly useful.
- The cleaner head can achieve 180-degree rotation, is attached to a swivel neck and can be extended to reach remote areas.
- It packs a set of LED lights for illumination, and provides an airtight dust sealing system within its build to prevent transmission of dust into the air during cleaning.
- The brush fitted in this model is electrically powered and comfortable to use on all types of surfaces.
- It combines an upholstery tool, a dusting tool, and a crevice nozzle to provide a powerful all-in-one cleaning solution.
- The model is considerably pricier compared to rival regular vacuum cleaners
- The rewinding mechanism for the cord may be a little easy to trigger accidentally during use.
- Lack of swivel functionality for the hose at the canister junction requires attention when twisting it at angles more than 90 degrees about the canister.
- Wheel axles may pick up hair and clog, making the unit a little hard to move along surface due to stuck wheels.
Dirt Devil Bagless Vacuum
- Cyclonic Filtration - cut through messes with constant powerful suction
- Weighs less than 7 Pounds- lightweight design enables it to maneuver easily from room to room
Look no further if you’re searching for a light-weight vacuum to instantly clean-up a mess and put away after use just as fast. This vacuum cleaner combines a 10 Amp powered motor and a cyclone filtration method to provide effective cleaning runs. The power cord for the unit is 20 feet long, which translates to larger cleaning reach without the need to change power plugs. The dirt cup conveniently empties from the bottom at the touch of a button for stress-free cleaning after use. Overall, the unit is compact and easy to maneuver as well as store in a tight space.
- The unit’s build is highly ergonomic, and provides a pleasant experience during cleaning due to the light weight.
- A long power cord makes for a large cleaning reach without necessarily having to change power plugs.
- Quick and easy storage, with the plug winding round the back of the unit’s handle for additional space saving.
- Effortless assembly of the unit upon reception, as the parts, snaps easily together without complicating the whole process.
- A powerful motor provides enough suction power for effective pickup during cleaning, and ensures maximum removal of trapped dirt and dust particles on your surface and any crevices.
- An easy to remove dirt cup conveniently empties from the bottom with the aid of a button for stress-free unit cleaning.
- The motor is located on the unit’s top, and makes it heavy and easy to topple over, scattering debris on the surface.
- Tires may be prone to leaving marks on the surface while rolling the unit during cleaning.
Kenmore Elite Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- BAGGED UPRIGHT VACUUM: Remove pet hair, dust and more with this multifloor, multi-surface designed vacuum for use in your home, den, or kitchen with a wide sweeper path
- PET HANDIMATE: Air driven turbine spins roller brush to high RPM easily removing dander, stubborn pet hair and other debris off furniture, stairs, car and van seats and out of your vehicle
Not only does this model provide the standard tools for dirt and dust removal, it also includes a cleverly designed dirt sensor that shines an LED light on dirty zones and promptly goes off when the area is clean. This model provides unmatched agility with a 35 feet long power cord and an attachment reach of 10 feet. Three motors present in the unit provide enough power for suction during cleaning, and the air tight filtration in the unit renders it safe even for people allergic to dust.
- It is relatively quiet during use, and its dust trapping mechanism works really well keeping the surrounding air fresh and clean.
- A dust sensor shines an LED light to highlight dirty areas and turns off when the surface has been cleaned.
- The suction power of the model is more than enough to cater for even the most arduous of cleaning needs.
- It includes all standard vacuum tools such as a crevice nozzle, a dusting and an upholstery tool to make a perfect cleaning companion.
- The recommended bags for use with the model are relatively pricey compared to regular ones.
- The unit’s sturdy build may be a little heavy to carry over several flights of stairs or over long distances.
- Suction in this model is really high and may require starting with low settings to get used to the intensity during the first cleaning sessions.
Bissell Zing Canister Vacuum
This vacuum cleaner is cost friendly, and does not require dirt bags to hold the picked up particles. It works through cyclonic action to effectively absorb debris, and has powerful suction that hardly misses any particles littering your surface, whether seen or unseen. The unit can be easily used to clean all types of surfaces, from wooden floors to carpets, just by flipping a switch to change between mode settings. It is bundled with filters for the dirt cup and a post-motor to trap particles during cleaning. Also, the filters can be washed and reused. This model is light, weighing in at less than 8lb, and has a 15-foot long cord that is retracted by operating on a button, making the unit easy to store.
- It is relatively cheap to acquire in comparison to other vacuum cleaning models.
- A dirt cup eliminates the additional cost of buying dirt bags to collect particles during cleaning.
- The model can easily adapt to cleaning different surfaces by just flipping a switch for suitable adjustment.
- Filters fitted in the dirt cup and post-motor are easy to clean and can be washed and reused.
- The unit is light, and the cord retracts by operating on a button for easy storage.
- The main unit’s cleaning head does not rotate or turn easily, rendering the unit a little clumsy and hard to glide on surfaces such as carpets.
- Be careful not to knock over the unit, which may fall easily, owing to its light weight.
Are vacuums safe for hardwood floors?
Upright vacuums which have a beater bar with stiff bristles may not be suitable for hardwood floors, as they tend to clean by brushing on the floor. The best options suited for cleaning such wooden surfaces are canister and stick vacuums, which do not have brushes that will scuff your hardwood floor. Alternatively, you can acquire a vacuum cleaner that provides a detachable bristle bar that can be disconnected from the cleaner head during the cleaning of hardwood floors. Keep in mind that the softer the bristles the less the scuffing to your wooden floor, if the only alternative is a bristled vacuum cleaner.
Is it best to sweep or vacuum hardwood floors
Sweeping hardwood floors may cause dust and dirt debris to become airborne or fall into crevices, escaping collection. Vacuuming these surfaces is a better solution as these particles are sucked into the vacuum canister for safe disposal away from the surface. Vacuum cleaners prevent particles from becoming airborne, and thus provide a better and far more effective approach to the cleaning and removal of dust and allergens from living spaces.
What’s the best vacuum for hardwood floors and pet hair?
Hardwood floors need gentle care during cleaning, and as already established, should be cleaned less frequently as compared to carpet surfaces. With that said, the best vacuum for cleaning hardwood floors is either the canister vacuum or stick vacuum, as they do not possess bristles nor a beater bar that may scuff and scrape hardwood floor finishing. If you really must have a full-size vacuum with a beater bar, choose one that has a detachable bristle bar that can be removed when cleaning hardwood floors. If you still cannot obtain such a model, then the last option should be a vacuum that has gentle and soft bristles that will be easy on your surface finishing during cleaning.
Do vacuum cleaners scratch hardwood floors?
Vacuum cleaners usually have a beater bar that shakes up the surface being cleaned through bristles that loosen up the debris for suction. Cleaners with hard and rigid bristles are more suitable for carpets and may scratch and scuff hardwood floor finishing. The safest choice for use on hardwood floors is using a vacuum cleaner that has a detachable bristle bar. Also, consider using a vacuum with rubber wheels as plastic ones tend to scrape hardwood floors.
Do vacuums damage hardwood floors?
Using the wrong type of vacuum cleaners on hardwood floors may lead to damage to your floor. Vacuum cleaners suitable for carpets have rigid bristles that may cause damage to hardwood floors by scratching and scuffing its finishing, altogether depreciating its luster and allure. To minimize chances of damage, use a canister or stick vacuums for this type of surface. Alternatively, opt for a vacuum cleaner with a detachable bristle bar that can be removed when cleaning hardwood floors.
Should I sweep or vacuum first?
During cleaning, it is more prudent to sweep first before vacuuming, as sweeping eliminates the larger bits of dirt and scatters airborne particles which may be easier to clean up afterward with a vacuum cleaner. Reversing this order leads to dust and allergen particles being spread onto surfaces and back into the air only to land on the very surfaces after you’re done sweeping. It may take another run with the vacuum cleaner to effectively clear the dust this way, which may prove exhausting and inefficient. Vacuuming should be the final step in ensuring that the space to be cleaned has been effectively eliminated of dirt, dust and debris particles.
How often should you vacuum wood floors?
Woods floors prove relatively easy to vacuum clean as they do not hold much dirt and dust particles. This means they can be cleaned less frequently compared to carpeted surfaces, which absorb debris and dust within their material fairly quickly. It is also important to note other factors such as traffic through the area and pets also using the space may contribute when deciding on how often to vacuum. With all the mentioned factors held constant, it is, therefore, advisable to vacuum wood floors at least once a week.
What should you clean first?
Dust the tops and furniture first, so that small dust particles can become airborne and heavier ones fall to the floor. The airborne dust and allergens will settle back on surface tops and be easier to clean and remove using a vacuum cleaner than sweeping. You can then mop or wipe these surfaces to remove the rest of the debris and particles on the floor surface to make your space clean as desired. As stated before, it is best to vacuum and not to sweep the surface as the vacuum cleaner sucks in the dust into the built-in dirtbags without making the particles airborne.
A vacuum cleaner is a perfect tool for eliminating dust and dirt particles from any surface. Choosing the right fit, among the myriad of possible choices, to help in cleaning your living space presents the only caveat.
To successfully make a good choice, you will need to know what surface is most suitable for cleaning with a particular model before purchase. Vacuum cleaners with beater bars are more suitable for carpets, while hardwood floors may be easily cleaned with canister or stick vacuums to minimize damage to the finish.
The motor power inside the unit is more or less directly proportional to the suction ability of the cleaner, and may be another point to consider before making a definitive choice. Vacuum cleaners are handy to use, easy to maneuver and are intended to make the cleaning process easy and thorough.
They also come with a host of variable add-on tools to extend the utility and versatility of the device during cleaning, and if you already own additional accessories, you may want to consider if the vacuum cleaner you want to buy will support them out of the box.
The weight of vacuum cleaners also varies greatly, and if intending to carry the unit a great distances or up/down stairs, it will be great to infer to a model’s weight before you decide.