Air Purifiers that use the HEPA filtration technology are probably the most efficient in purifying the contaminated indoor air. These use the HEPA filters which are particularly designed to capture the very fine airborne particles. These filters when used in combination with other pre-filters successfully eliminate bad orders and harmful vapors too.
Considering the fact that there are literally many air purifiers that use the HEPA filters, things get a bit difficult while choosing one. Obviously, it is you who has to decide on which purifier satisfies all your needs.
To make things easy for you, I have compiled a list of some of the top rated air cleaners with HEPA filters.
Top HEPA Air Purifiers of 2020
- Extra large room air purifier: Recommended for extra large rooms (465 square feet) this true hepa allergen remover air purifier helps capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3...
- Turbo clean: With 3 air cleaning levels plus a Turbo clean setting, this air purifier helps remove particles like pet dander, pollen, dust, mold & smoke. It also helps capture certain germs & reduce...
It has a large coverage area of 465 square feet and is capable of circulating room air up to 5 times every hour. This is particularly impressive considering the price at which it is offered.
It uses an odor absorbing pre-filter to remove bad household odors and a True HEPA filter to get rid of allergens, mold, pollen and other contaminants.
It is powerful and can capture all those microbes which you would never want to breathe. My complete review on this product says more about this cleaner.
Blueair 403 Hepa Silent Air-Purification
- Designed for rooms up to 365 square feet and to fit beautifully into your home decor
- Highly efficient HEPASilent technology captures 99.97% of particles down to 0.1 microns
It is best suitable for medium to large sized rooms and is capable of covering up to 365 square feet of living area. This 403 model uses high performance HEPASilent® technology which is effective in trapping 99.9% of all air pollutants.
Unlike other purifiers which can only capture small particles up to 0.3 microns in size, this model from BlueAir is capable of filtering airborne particles which are as small as 0.1 microns in size.
Many users have reported that this purifier operates silently even while running at high airflow speed. Personally, I can vouch for its noiseless functioning which helps me sleep without any distractions.
To find out more on this purifier, follow this link.
Honeywell 50250-S Purifier
The Honeywell 50250S sets itself apart from the competition with it patented 360 degrees air flow design. Coming from the Honeywell purifier range, this product lives up to the expectations and effectively helps in dealing with allergies.
The most unique thing about this purifier this its design which enables it to draw polluted indoor air from all directions and then delivers purified air evenly throughout the room (360 degrees). This feature allows you to position it anywhere inside the room without having to worry about the air circulation.
It is powerful enough to purify indoor air up to 5 times per hour and this is great considering the fact that it has a coverage area of around 390 square feet.
Alen Breathesmart purifier
- BIG ROOMS? NO BIG DEAL: Cleans 1100 SqFt every 30 minutes 3x faster than our competitors. Designed to clean air in large spaces like living rooms, bedrooms, basements, apartments, and open concept...
- DUST AND ALLERGY FILTER: Recommended for dust, allergens, pollen, fur, pet dander, and household odors. The True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of particles up to .3 microns leaving behind clean & fresh...
Alen offers 4 different filters which include FreshPlus, OdorCell, Pure and Silver filter packs; each of which deals effectively with certain kinds of airborne contaminants.
Alen’s WhisperMax technology makes sure the purifier works silently even while working at higher fan speed levels. It’s special aerodynamic airflow design allows you to position the purifier anywhere inside your home or office without having to worry about the air circulation.
It has an exceptional coverage area of 1100 square feet which makes it the perfect choice for a full house air cleaner.
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Purifier
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq.ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft.).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other...
The AP-1512HH Mighty purifier is compact and occupies less space. But don’t let it’s compact size mislead you as this model is powerful enough to deal with airborne impurities within a large 360 sq feet living area.
It has high CADR ratings of 246(for Dust), 240(for Pollen) and 233(for Tobacco smoke). Along with the Auto mode and Eco modes, it is also equipped with Air Quality Indicator which adjusts the airflow speed based on the amount of impurities.
Winix WAC5500Winix WAC5500 PlasmaWave
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
It is an Energy Star certified product which is suitable for medium to large sized living spaces up to 350 sq ft in area. This model is also equipped with smart sensors which monitor the indoor pollutant levels and automatically adjusts the fan speed settings.
The LED Auto Dim functionality is another much-needed feature. It automatically adjusts the lights on the control panel to match the ambient light setting within the room. This along with the noiseless operation help me sleep peacefully.
GermGuardian AC5000E HEPA Purifier
Many people to whom I’ve suggested this air purifier have reported back saying that they were able to notice a considerable improvement in the air quality after using this model. It has decent features and most importantly it comes at a very affordable price.
It uses a 4-stage air filtration process which starts at the Pre-Filter level where large particles are captured. The Carbon filter used in the next stage reduces bad household odors. At the third level, this purifier uses True HEPA filtration which is then followed by UV-C filtration. This UV-C light is highly effective in eliminating germs, microbes and other airborne viruses.
This air cleaning product has a CADR rating of 125+ and is perfectly suitable for small to medium size rooms and apartments. Read the full review to find out how this purifier effectively fights the allergies.
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
So, you can choose the Germ Defence filter if you are dealing with microbes, bacteria and viruses; Odor Remover filter for odor reduction; Pet Allergy filter for pet dander, allergens or Toxin Absorber filter if your prime concern is VOCs, chemical vapors and fumes.
This purifier can be easily operated either by the controls on the front panel or by using a remote control. It has a room coverage area of up to 700 square ft and is apt for large rooms, apartments and offices.
This is a premium product from Rabbit and has everything which you need in an good air purifier. Continue with the link to know more about this.
Fellowes Aeramax 300
- Air purifier features true HEPA filter with aerasafe antimicrobial treatment and carbon filter for four-stage filtration process that captures 99.97% of airborne particles
- An odor Eliminator that also captures mold, dust, germs and smoke-ideal for allergy and asthma sufferers. Filter type: carbon. True HEPA with aerasafe antimicrobial treatment
This purifier from Fellowes is pretty easy to set up and gets to work right out of the box. It is tough on allergens, bacteria, germs and delivers top-notch air.
This air cleaner uses a special True HEPA filter in combination with a carbon filter to deal with a wide array of airborne impurities. It also uses a AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment to prevent the ingrowth of germs, bacteria, viruses and mildew on the HEPA filters.
The Plasma true technology which used in final stage of purification is designed to fight allergens and other disease causing organisms. It is certified to be asthma and allergy friendly by the AAFA (Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America).
Buy on Amazon
Genius5Honeywell AirGenius 5
- TOWER AIR PURIFIER: The AirGenius 5 features quiet operation & 5 air cleaning levels including a sleep setting for nearly silent operation & a permanent, washable filter. EnergyStar certified & AHAM...
- EFFICIENT & EASY TO USE: This air purifier is designed for large rooms (250 square feet) & includes a permanent, washable filter. Helps capture up to 99.9% of airborne particles as small as 0.3...
It is part of the Honeywell AirGenius series which are designed to serve the air cleaning needs of medium sized living spaces (up to 250 sq ft area). This HFD320 model which is the most advanced purifier in the AirGenius series has a Clean Air Delivery Rate of 160 for Dust particles, 161 for Smoke and 170 for Plant pollen grains.
It uses a permanent washable QuietClean® ifD® filter which performs exceptionally well in capturing microscopic pollutants. It uses smart sensor technology to constantly monitor the home contamination levels and automatically adjusts airflow speeds.
This purifer will truly compliment your home/apartment’s interior decor with its sleek tower design, intuitive touch sensitive controls and a unique blue glow light at the base.
It is highly energy efficient and consumes just as much power as your regular light bulb would.
Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Cleaner
- True HEPA Filtration captures 99.99% of airborne pollutants, pet dander and allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- Washable advanced odor control carbon filter especially formulated to capture offensive pet odors as well as smoke, cooking and other household odors.
The washable pre-filter and the advanced Odor Control Carbon filter prove to be a strong combination in dealing with pet hair, pet odors, household smells and allergens.
This purifier is certified by the AHAM and it provides a room coverage range of up to 283 square ft in area. Along with this, it scores well on the CADR stats as well; which are 194, 182, 183 for Pollen, Dust and Tobacco smoke respectively.
It is equipped with smart sensors and Winix PlasmaWave technology which works at molecular level to neutralize chemical vapors, fumes, viruses and other allergy causing pollutants.
It offers a great deal of features for a somewhat lower price. If you’re wondering why this purifier has such a good reputation then I’d suggest you to continue reading the full review here.
Whirlpool Whispure AP51030K
- Model name AP51030K is renamed to WP500P
- Whisper classic design
It has a high CADR rating of 315 which is impressive considering its large room coverage of up to 500 square feet. This Whispure model uses true HEPA filtration process to get rid of 99.97% of all indoor airborne pollutants which can be as small as 0.3 microns in diameter size. These include the likes of pet dander, dust, pollen, mites, ragweed, bacteria, mold spores and other such allergens.
Along with sleep mode and turbo mode, it has many other positive notes to it. Follow the link to read more.
AC4825 model purifier from Germ Guardian AC4825
- 4-in-1 air purifier for home: True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- Kills germs: UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
It purifies dirty indoor air in 3 different stages, each of which deals with a particular type of pollutants. For instance, the initial pre-filter helps in capturing large size airborne particles and the Carbon filter eliminates bad smells, common household odors and pet smell.
This model also uses a True HEPA filter which is proven to capture dust, pet dander, mold spores, pollen and other such allergy causing particles. Finally, it uses the power of UV-C light rays to sanitize the air by eliminating viruses and harmful bacteria like E.coli (causes urinary infections and severe anemia).
It’s ultra-quiet airflow design lets you have a distraction-free sleep. This makes it one of the top choices for your bedroom. This purifier is a good choice for small family homes.
How Do these HEPA Air Purifiers Work ?
Basically, purifiers clean the air by passing the dirty air through the HEPA filter and exhaling the clean air out to the room. Some HEPA purifiers are equipped with a pre-filter so that the big particulates in the dirty air hit the cheaper filter first and leave the HEPA filter to deal with finer particulates. That way, this expensive filter does not have to be replaced so frequently.
Although these filters eliminate particulates which are 0.3 microns or bigger, the majority of particulates (90%) including gases are smaller than that. Sure the smaller particulates (smaller than 0.3 micron)are easier to exhale from the lung, but for people with health problems or with overwhelming number of such fine particulates in the surrounding (for instance: smoke, chemical out-gas, pet odor), it helps to have a HEPA air purifier which is equipped with a gas absorbent, such as a chemical or carbon filter. Hence air purifier manufacturers often also include a carbon filter, consisting of activated carbon, to help trap such fine particles. Of course, the ability of an air purifier to control odor and smoke also depends on the amount of activated carbon embedded in the unit. Some cheaper air purifiers usually have stripes of carbon, whereas premium air purifiers pride themselves for putting in 5 lb of carbon or more in the unit.
Finally, it is also known that HEPA purifier’s manufacturers sometimes include UV or other germicidal agents such as a silver screen in their units to help kill germs. Actually, a UV or germicidal agent is not a priority if the other filters do a good job in filtering small particulates. In this kind of unit, germs will automatically be filtered. In fact, most premium air purifier lines do not have a UV light or other germicidal agent. And yet, they are very effective in curbing dead particulates and live germs alike. The concern of having a UV light is that it can make the unit to produce ozone, a potential lung irritant, as a by-product.
In short, the stage of cleaning air using a HEPA purifier is as follows:
- Dirty air from surrounding is sucked up to the air purifier unit and is passed through a series of filters by the use of fan.
- Stage I (optional): The dirty air is passed through a pre-filter. Not all HEPA air purifier units have a pre-filter, but most have it to reduce the frequency of HEPA filter replacement.
- Stage II (optional): Some HEPA cleaners use carbon filter to filter out gases. So once the air is passed from prefilter, it gets to the carbon filter.
- Stage III: Air is then passed through the HEPA filter.
- Stage IV (optional): Air is exposed to the UV light to help kill microorganism.
Are these Purifiers Safe To Use?
In contrast to some electronic air purifiers such as ionizers and ozone air purifiers, HEPA filter purifiers are the safest air purifiers you can get. Since it works by mechanical means, there is no ozone, a potential lung and respiratory pathway-irritant, emitted. If you choose the ones with metal casing and non-toxic paint, there will be no out-gassing either.
Do you know that scams are rampant in air purifier industry ?
Do you know how to ensure you get the best air cleaner that is suitable for you and do the job properly ?
If you don’t know anything about air purifier, then read this article as well as other articles on this website before you buy one.
It is not safe for you to just go and buy any air purifier in your local department store, because:
- Some air purifiers are not safe. Yes, you hear it right. Some air purifiers emit ozone, which is not good for your lung. Prior to shopping, you must know how to identify those ozone-emitting air purifiers.
(Read our article on air purifier safety concerns here )
- Most high quality and safe air purifiers are not sold at your local department store.
- Different air purifiers are designed differently to match specific needs. So prior to shopping, you must know what your specific needs are and what kind of air purification technology is best to serve your needs.
Air Purifier Brands – Which One is The Best ?
In the air purification world, there are four tiers of home air purifiers, and it’s better to know them before you buy a purifying product.
The first tier contains the creme de la creme brands of air purifiers. These purifiers really work to clean the air and customers have reported the good effects of having such purifiers in their homes. These are the cleaners you want if you are a severe allergy sufferer and have problems related to lungs, or are immune-compromised or have multiple chemical sensitivities. You would also need these if you want to get rid of cigar smoke and pet odor.
Now, how do you know whether a purifier is considered as a ‘premium one’ ?
Usually, you can tell that they are premium from the brand. These air cleaners are mostly made by manufacturers which are dedicated to manufacturing air filters or air purifiers only, for instance: IQAir, Blueair, Alen, Austin Air, AllerAir, Airgle, Clarifier, Plasmawave, and RabbitAir, although recently, some air purifiers built by Asian home appliance manufacturers have joined this rank, for example; Sharp air purifiers.
In addition, a premium home air cleaner is usually more expensive, with price ranging from $450- over $1000. But this may be offset by their ability to purify larger rooms. For instance, IQAir brand, at around $800 is capable of cleaning up to 900 sq ft room area, whereas Austin Air, the no-frill premium purifier, at around $500 is capable of cleaning a 625 sq. feet carpet area.
The second tier is occupied by good-enough purifiers. These products work pretty well, but not at a high efficiency as the first tiers ones. They also often lack convenient features. For instance, some of the purifiers in this tier, while working pretty well, are very noisy. Nevertheless, these air cleaners are good enough for all-round cleaning and are suitable for somebody with mild problems, such as mild allergy symptoms.
We would not recommend these for somebody with severe allergies, asthma, immune-compromise problem, and multiple chemical sensitivities since these people need a better air purifier to alleviate their symptoms. We also don’t recommend this for people who want to buy air purifier specifically for curbing cigar smoke and odor, since usually, the amount of carbon (gas absorbent) is not sufficient to filter out these gasses.
So how do you know that a purifier belongs to this tier ? Usually, this tier is occupied by products put out by home appliance’s manufacturers from Asia and the West, such as Aprilaire, Hamilton Beach, and so forth, with the cost-per-unit hovering around $100-300. They are also usually designed for smaller rooms, with the area ranging from 100-250 sq. feet.
Next on the rank is the third tier air purifiers, which at most can only do general air cleaning. These air purifiers have an even less efficiency than the ones at the second tiers and you should not buy this unless you only want air purifiers for all around cleaning. They are also pretty cheap and most are manufactured by home appliance’s manufacturers.
Lastly, it is the fourth tier air cleaners which either do not work or cause harm by the emission of ozone. The companies which put out these machines spend more money on marketing than on technological research, and these purifiers are usually marketed either via MLM (multi-level marketing) or paid TV programming. As a result, these air purifiers are popular among customers, especially for the ones who are interested in all-around cleaning.
Basically, you should be worried if the marketing campaigns involve these words: filterless, ionizer, ozone generator, maintenance-free, quiet and fresh odor. For more information on these types of air purifier, read our articles on how purifiers work to see how an ionic purifier produces ozone as a by-product. In addition, you may also want to read on why owning a home ozone generator for home air purification is not a good idea.
To Sum Up – Air Purifier Buying Guide
In brief, these are the tips to buy a purifier:
- Learn whether these purifiers really work and if they are beneficial for your current situation. If you need to buy an air purifier, then get a clear idea about what your needs are.
- Know how to evaluate and choose air purifier so you can apply these criteria when you buy a cleaner. It’s even better if you know about different types of home air purifier systems or technologies so you won’t easily be scammed by an advertisement.
- Avoid scams and only consider buying purifiers built only by reputable (first tier) manufacturers if you have serious issues which need to be solved. At the very least, get the second-tier purifiers, especially if you need an air cleaner for all-around cleaning or to solve mild problems. Never buy the fourth-tier brands. This means, avoid MLM-marketed brands as well as the ones marketed via paid programming and mini sales sites.
- Before buying a purifying product, read air purifier reviews such as the one on this site. There are also other organizations which test air purifiers and give ratings. In addition, highly-selective air purifier or allergy stores also subject air purifiers to their in-house test to ensure they only carry the ones which really work. Read about air purifier ratings here so you understand different test and rating systems of these sites.
- Make sure you stay on budget by knowing how to get discounted air purifiers and working out the ownership as well as maintenance cost prior to buying an air purifier.
- Once you know which brand to get, you need to check on vendor’s reputation before buying an indoor air purification product online or offline (locally).