Investing in a good quality mattress is one of the best things you can do improve your sleep. When you think about it, you will be spending almost one third of your life for the next ten years on this mattress. Therefore, it is important to not only find a quality mattress at a fair price, but also find the right mattress for you and your specific sleeping style. There are not many things that feel better than consistently getting a good night sleep. Transitioning to a memory foam mattress could be the answer to finding the right mattress for you.
- Critical things to know about Memory Foam Mattresses
- Top Memory Foam Mattresses Brands
Critical things to know about Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses have become more and more popular and mainstream over the years. Mattress companies continue to innovate the materials and process for delivering you the finest memory foam mattress possible. If you are starting your search for a new memory foam mattress, this page intends to give you a guide into what you need to know about the product category and the some of the various mattresses you can select from if you decide you want to go with a memory foam mattress. We hope to educate you on the decision and help you decide if trying out a memory foam mattress is right for you.
What are the advantages of a Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory foam provides strong relief to painful pressure points
If you find yourself waking up sore, this can be because you ended up sleeping in position that did not support your body well. This can happen if your mattress is pushing back at you and you are in a position that is not in good alignment with the natural shape of your body. Memory foam is good at cushioning your pressure points while supporting parts of your body that have less pressure. Memory foam allows for your body weight to be evenly distributed across the mattress causing less specific points of pressure.
Memory Foam supports your natural neck, back and spine alignment
One of the biggest advantages of memory foam is that contours to your body. No matter what position you lay down in, or what part of the mattress you are sleeping on the mattress will form to whatever position you are in.
Memory foam can cause less rolling around during the night
If you find yourself rolling around in your sleep, it is often due to being uncomfortable. With a memory foam mattress, why you get into bed your body heat begins to warm the mattress. As your body weight presses down the mattress begins to contour to your current position. The memory foam provides support not only in the up and down direction, but also provides support from the sides. This allows for your body to find a comfortable position for the night and creates a smaller urge to roll around from being uncomfortable. This allows you to sleep through the night with comforting pressure from all around.
Memory foam is great for your sleeping partner
Another advantage that comes from memory foam is that it is great at absorbing the transfer of energy. This means that if something is happening on the other side of the bed, such as your partner is getting up or moving around, that movement is contained and absorbed by the mattress and you do not feel as much of the movement on your side of the bed.
Memory foam is accommodating to multiple sleeping positions
Because memory foam is so forgiving and so good at adapting to whatever pressure is being put on it, it is a great pick for almost all sleeping positions. No matter what position your body is in, it reacts the same providing support from multiple directions and contouring to your body.
How much does a memory foam mattress cost?
You can find a very good luxury memory foam mattress for around $800. There are some models that can cost multiple thousands of dollars and there are some that run as low as $400. Some of the main differences between these products are the materials used in the manufacturing of the material and the amount of the foam used.
What does the inside of a Memory Foam Mattress look like?
Memory Foam mattresses come in many different forms. Some are as basic as one piece of memory foam of a various thickness. Others have multiple layers memory foam produced for specific reasons that together make up the benefits of the bed.
Generally speaking the makeup of a luxury memory foam mattress could look something like this:
The top layer can be a thin layer of memory foam, sometimes 2 inches. This layer is generally built with the purpose of soft comfort as well as making the mattress breathable and dispersing heat.
The middle layer(s) is a layer that focuses on contouring to the form of your body and provides support to the parts of your body weight that are applying the most pressure.
The bottom layer is often the thickest later. It’s goal is to provide strength and durability, allowing you to have a strong mattress without having to have a firm feeling on the top.
As Memory Foam Mattresses continue to innovate, they are coming out with various strategies to increase airflow and distribute heat to ensure that you can have the benefits of a memory foam mattress while still being able to sleep cool.
What are the drawbacks of a Memory Foam Mattress?
The most common criticism of a memory foam mattress is that some of the mattresses ‘sleep hot’. This basically mean that as your body gives off heat during the night, the memory foam retains this heat instead of dispersing of it into open air like a traditional spring mattress. To counter this, mattress brands continue to innovate the makeup of their various layers. Some attack this challenge by using a latex material. Others input various elements into their materials that help in absorbing and canceling out the heat.
The other drawback to consider is that some people feel that memory foam contours too much to their body, making it harder to move around once you are laying in it. This can vary mattress to mattress and often depends on the firmness level of the memory foam being used.
The other drawback of memory foam you may have heard is that the polyurethane foam is created using chemicals. Although this may sound scary and scientific, these mattresses have been tested and certified by the non-profit certification watchdog, CertiPUR-US ensuring that they are safe for consumers, which kind of makes this ‘drawback’ more of an urban myth.
Top Memory Foam Mattresses Brands
- The Leesa mattress provides a Medium-Firm feel and is beautifully designed with three premium foam layers: A top layer of breathable foam, a second layer of memory foam that relieves back, hip and...
- All Leesa mattresses are covered with our iconic 4 stripe mattress cover. We’ve worked hard to make this highly breathable, virtually seamless mattress cover with no tapered edges one of the most...
The Alexander Signature Series
Tuft & Needle
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is...
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that...
- MADE WITH TOP QUALITY MEMORY FOAM - Lull's three-layer mattress gives you the perfect combination of comfort and therapeutic support. Whether you sleep on your back, front, or side, each layer of foam...
- BREATHABLE FOR RELAXED COMFORT - Lull's 1.5" viscoelastic memory foam top layer features a gel polymer injection. This design transfers heat away from your body by dispersing it throughout the...
- 4-layers of premium foam construction for support, breathability, and bounce
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
NovosBedThe NovosBed is a very good memory foam mattress, that allows for three firmness levels for you to select from. It comes with an unzippable cover which makes it washable. To combat heat buildup, their foam has thousands of vertical air channels built in to help you sleep cool. Many of their verified buyers love this mattress with over 1,000 5-star reviews on their website. You can save $100 with our NovosBed Coupon which generally costs $1,099 for a queen.
- Combines the targeted pressure point relief of individually encased coils with the contouring comfort of quilted gel memory foam in a hybrid mattress.
- Constructed with a 1" layer of quilted gel memory foam that provides optimal cooling comfort while you sleep, a 2" transitional layer of comfort foam for a gentle transition to the mattress core and...
- Your purchase includes One Brentwood Home Cypress Gel Memory Foam Mattress in Queen Size | Fits adjustable and regular frames & is the perfect mattress for all type of sleepers
- Mattress dimensions – 80" L x 60" W x 13" H | Feel – Medium-Firm | Weight – 53 lbs.
- 4 LAYERS OF COMFORT - Crafted from high-quality cooling gel memory foam, high-density support foam and aerated latex, the 11” GhostBed Classic merges luxury and durability to help you get amazing...
- WAKE UP FEELING REFRESHED - High-density foam core supports spinal alignment, alleviates hip and back pain, and relieves stiffness; it’s soft, supportive and springy - but with minimal motion...
- GIVE YOUR MATTRESS A LUXURIOUS BOOST --- Our 5cm foam topper is designed to add a luxurious layer of pure comfort to the mattress you're not quite ready to part with
- WIGGLE-PROOF DESIGN --- This topper is the answer to every fidgety sleepers' struggle. It is fitted with straps at both ends that hug your mattress, keeping it firmly in position as you sleep
- ✔️ [Support Meets softness]: The 12-inch as3 offers the perfect blend of support and softness. That’s why it’s our most popular mattress for every type of Sleeper.
- ✔️ [deeper sleep]: the fda-determined celliant cover promotes more restful sleep and faster recovery. It works by reflecting heat back into your body as infrared light, which increases Local...