One of the best things about dancing is that you can do it pretty much anywhere. If you feel the urge to do it in the middle of a street and it’s raining outside – go straight ahead, nothing’s stopping you.
If you like to dance on your own in the comfort of your home – play some music and start making some moves.
Fancy dancing in a group with other like-minded folks – go to a dance studio and have a blast.
The thing is, dancing is an activity that doesn’t require too many props, so you can do it wherever you like. That said, if you mean to do it professionally, or at least regularly – you can hurt yourself and feel quite uncomfortable, generally speaking, while dancing on a rough surface. Especially if you have long dance sessions.
In this article, we’re going to talk about portable dance floors – small foldable surfaces you can carry with you wherever you want, whip them out when you feel the dancing bug coming on, and cha-cha-cha all day long without worrying about blisters on your feet or muscle pain afterward.
We’ll also present you with some products in this particular category, so you can pick the one that suits your interests in the best way. Last but not least, we’ve also ventured to explain how to clean a portable dance floor, and answered some of the most frequently asked questions about them, too.
Right then folks, without further ado, here’s the deal.
Editor’s Picks: 3 Best Portable Dance Floor
- What is the Best Flooring for a Dance Floor?
- Best Portable Dance Floor – A List of Products
- 1) Dancing Disc – Portable Dance Floor with Pro Marley Material
- 2) SnapFloors – Modular Dance Floor Kit
- 3) dot2dance – Personalized 32-inch Authentic Black Marley Portable Dance Floor
- 4) My Turn Athletics – Portable Turning Board for Dancers
- 5) IncStores – 3×3 Practice Dance Floor
- 6) dot2dance – Authentic Marley Portable Dance Floor
- 7) Dancing Disc New Professional Portable Dance Floor
- How to Clean a Dance Floor
- Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the Best Flooring for a Dance Floor?
This flooring solution can be an excellent choice for the folks with smaller budgets.
Thanks to their availability and low price, terrazzo floors are often the surfaces of choice for many different purposes. Whether it’s waiting rooms, large ballrooms, or dance floors, terrazzo floors will always provide a solid and smooth surface you can rely on.
What’s makes it so dance-friendly, so to speak, would be the fact that they can absorb some of the impacts of dancing thanks to the air gaps they have within their build.
On top of it all, terrazzo floors usually look quite good, so you can rest assured that you’re dancing won’t be undermined by an ugly surface underneath your feet.
Engineered Wooden Floor
Here’s a great thing about wood, in general – you can make anything out of it including paper, pipes, baseball bats, and floors.
So, it should come as no surprise that dance floors can also be made out of engineered wood. Not only that, but portable dance floors can be made from it, it’s just the planks in use that are not permanently fixed to one area.
As far as the feeling beneath the feet is concerned, many dancers swear by it because it gives you firmness, support, as well as a bit of elasticity as well.
Perhaps one of the commonly used portable dance floor solutions would certainly be vinyl.
It’s not just the dancing community that likes it, of course. You can often see mats made out of vinyl used by gymnasts, and other athletic folks who need a supportive surface that also absorbs a lot of the shock from jumping on it all the time.
When used for making dance floors, performance surfaces made out of vinyl are often called a ‘marley floors‘, so if you see a portable dance floor description that mentions the world ‘marley’, you can be certain that this thing is made out of vinyl.
Best Portable Dance Floor – A List of Products
1) Dancing Disc – Portable Dance Floor with Pro Marley Material
- Premium Marley Floor use by Professional Competitions and Dancers
- Safe for hardwood Floors
As our entry number two, we’ve got yet another portable dance floor that looks like a big dot. This time around, however, the folks behind this piece of acrobatic vinyl are called Dancing Disc, and they pride themselves in being among the best portable dance floor manufacturers on the market.
When it comes to the type of dance you can perform with this piece of equipment, everything comes into consideration including ballet, jazz, general gymnastics, you name it. What’s more, if you’re a tap-dancer, this surface can be an excellent choice because it makes the tapping sound audible enough for what you need.
The bottom of this portable dance floor is made out of a non-slip surface, which means you can put it on any floor surface without worrying about it going left and right willy-nilly all the time.
- Made out of high-quality Marley material
- Can work for all types of dances, including jazz, ballet, and even tap-dancing
- Anti-slip bottom
- Tapered edge
- A bit small
2) SnapFloors – Modular Dance Floor Kit
- Complete kit: includes nine interlocking panels and edging
- Lightweight and portable. Only 18 lbs per 3′ x 3′ Dance floor panel
If you need a sturdy dance floor that will be both supportive and absorb the shock of your feet thumping against it all the time, this curious model from SnapFloors might just be a perfect ‘weapon of choice’ for you.
Instead of vinyl, this thing is made out of a high-quality maple wood, which possesses excellent durability properties. So, if you get this portable dance floor model, you won’t have to worry about getting another for a long time. (As long as you take good care of this one, of course.)
The way this portable floor works is that it consists of nine maple wood tile-like surfaces, which are then arranged all in a square, so they don’t take much space when you’re carrying them, but can represent quite a surface after you unravel it.
- The complete kit consists of nine interlocking panels
- Lightweight design and easily portable
- Easy maintenance
- 100% waterproof (can be used outdoors, as well)
- No tools required for the assembly
- Some users have reported certain problems with the assembly
3) dot2dance – Personalized 32-inch Authentic Black Marley Portable Dance Floor
- 32x32x1 GRANDE SIZE, Still the same #1 Selling Original dot2dance, just with your NAME ON IT!
Here we have a product fairly similar to the one we’ve presented to you like the entry number one. It comes from the same company and it represents virtually the same product, except this one, is 32-inches in size, whereas the one assuming the number one spot allowed you to choose between four sizes.
This product is made out of high-quality marley, allowing you to perform all sorts of dances and acrobatics on it, without worrying about bruising yourself or otherwise getting injured while performing. That said, there’s also a special feature here called the non-slip bottom surface, ensuring that you won’t fly off into the air together with this dancing surface if you perform too vigorous a move.
So, the non-slip surface ensures you can use this thing on a variety of different surfaces, all of which will be able more than enough of a good foundation for this portable dance floor. (As long as the surface is hard and it doesn’t move, of course.)
- Elegant design
- Made out of black vinyl
- Comes with a convenient carrying handle
- 32-inches of dancing space
- Can be placed on any surface
- Non-slip bottom
- Quite expensive
4) My Turn Athletics – Portable Turning Board for Dancers
- STOP COMPROMISING TECHNIQUE! My Turn On Releve Turn Disc is the first training tool for turning specifically designed to be used on releve.
- STRENGTHEN YOUR MUSCLES! The spherical shape of My Turn Disc creates an imbalanced platform forcing the user’s body to adjust thus resulting in the strengthening of the core, muscles, ankles and...
Other than for dancing, this portable turning board can be a great exercising tool. The thing is, the folks at My Turn Athletics have intentionally made this board difficult to stand on, so by constantly being forced to adjust your stand you train your core muscles and improve your sense of balance.
Although fairly small (there’s just enough room for one foot), this little thing can be a great piece of equipment for young and old ballet dancers who want to improve their technique and balance in the comfort of their own homes.
- Specifically designed for helping ballet dancers practice their relevé
- Simple spherical shape
- Easy to store
- Attractive design
- Helps strengthen core muscles
- Some people are dissatisfied with its diminutive size
5) IncStores – 3×3 Practice Dance Floor
- MAKE EVERYWHERE A STAGE: Take your passion on the go with a printed tap floor that's engineered for greatness. With effortless portability and balanced glide, our practice floor is the perfect partner...
- ALWAYS ON POINTE: Bring the right tools for the job with our acclaimed practice surface featuring a single supersized tile and 12 smooth edge pieces to make every floor a dance floor worthy of taking...
Last but not least, we’ve got ourselves quite a treat coming from a company called IncStores. This portable dance floor represents a simple piece of dark maple that is surrounded with 12 pieces of wood you should arrange so that it all forms a uniform unit.
Thanks to the natural durability and toughness of maple wood, this dance floor can be an excellent option for practicing tap-dancing. The structure of the wood will give your taps just the right sound every time, and the surface itself will provide support to your entire body.
As far as the types of dance are concerned that this thing can support, you can count on ballet, tap-dancing (as we already mentioned), flamenco, hip-hop, you name it. Once you’re done dancing for the day, you can simply dismount this thing and then vacuum clean it. It’ll be as good as new, no doubt.
- Fairly easy to assemble and disassemble
- Works for a wide variety of dancing techniques
- Comes with beveled edges
- Made out of high-quality maple
- East maintenance
- Some users have complained that some pieces do not fit well
6) dot2dance – Authentic Marley Portable Dance Floor
- HANDMADE in U.S.A. with AUTHENTIC & Certified "MARLEY" Dance Flooring. Select from 4 sizes and 2 colors.
- MULTI-USE with AUTHENTIC MARLEY Front & Non-Slip GYM MAT Back. NO Exposed Staples or Sharp Objects making it SAFE for ALL Floors at Home.
Keeping true to their company name, the folks at dot2dance came up with a dancing surface which is pretty much a large dot made out of marley. This thing comes in four different sizes, so you can rest assured you’ll be able to find the best one for your needs.
What makes this dance floor surface so popular and beloved among dances would be the fact that it’s completely non-slip, meaning you don’t ever run the risk of slipping when dancing on top of one of these. Also, its thickness cancels out any sharp pieces lying on the floor beneath it, or maybe uneven parts of your floor, so you don’t have to worry about stepping on something sharp, either.
As far as its portability is concerned, you can carry this thing everywhere with you easily thanks to the inbuilt carrying handle. All you need to do is fold it up once you’re done with your dancing session, and then simply pick it up and off you go.
- Handmade in the USA
- Made out of authentic marley material
- Safe to use on all floors
- Convenient carrying handle
- Comes in 4 sizes
- Comfortable and supports your weight well
- A bit expensive (some of the larger sizes)
7) Dancing Disc New Professional Portable Dance Floor
- NEW Professional Portable Dance Floor made with Premium Marley Floor
- Made for All Dance Levels, Ballet, Jazz Gymnasts & Great Sound for Tap
When talking about a high-quality professional portable dance floor, there is nothing that beats the Dancing Disc New Professional Portable Dance Floor. It is a little bit on the expensive end, not going to lie, but every penny spent is worth it.
The good quality dance floor is constructed with a premium Marley floor that ensures superior durability like no other. And, if you are worried about its usage, you wouldn’t have to, especially because it is suitable for every kind of dance level that you likely conduct around.
The neutral color with hard construction ensures long-lasting usage like no other. So, if you are here wondering about the quality of things, you wouldn’t have to anymore. The tapered edges ensure optimal safety as well.
The underside of this dance floor is designed with an anti-slip bottom that ensures long-lasting usage without any complaints at all if that is something that you are worried about. If you are looking for ways to fulfill your dance dreams, there’s not much you’d have to do.
- Designed out of high-quality material
- Neutral color with hard construction
- Tapered edges for heightened safety
- Comes with anti-slip bottom
- A little on the pricier side
How to Clean a Dance Floor
The best way to ensure you’re portable dance floor will survive many of your pirouettes and relevés would be to clean it regularly after every use.
Even though you probably are not going to make the floor too dirty (assuming you’re dancing in some sort of special footwear), sweeping it off to get rid of the sweat and dust would be the first step toward ensuring it will last a long time, indeed.
Sweep Before Mopping
This one may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s still worth mentioning.
When it comes to cleaning the dance floor, no matter what surface we are talking about, first sweep off the larger dust particles that may have accumulated on it. After that, you can start mop it up, as well.
If you do this vice versa, you run the risk of smearing the dust all over it.
Don’t Pour Coke on It
There’s an old trick that dancers use to tackle a slippery surface they’re about to perform on – pour some Coke on it.
Now, while this can be a last-minute solution for instances where you perform at a ball where the floor’s been waxed to oblivion, using Coke on a portable dance floor is not necessary and can even damage the surface.
Portable dancing surfaces typically have an inbuilt non-slip component to them, so you shouldn’t worry too much about slipping on one of these.
Use Mild Detergent
When it comes to cleaning a portable dance floor, the important thing to keep in mind would be that you won’t need much more than a simple mild detergent to get the job done.
The thing is, dancing surfaces tend to be smooth and easy to clean anyway, so even if there’s a big stain on them, a little bit of mild detergent will usually do the trick. (That’s mild detergent + a brush or a mop with a bucket of water, of course.)
Do Not Mop Daily
While you should brush off any accumulated dust from your portable dance floor daily, you shouldn’t mop it daily.
The reason for this is that mopping it means making it wet, and if it’s wet too often, that can compromise the quality of the surface, especially if it’s wooden.
So, yes, do mop it now and again, but don’t do it every day.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) What Floor Can You Tap Dance On?
Tap-dancing is a dancing technique best performed on hardwood floors.
Whether it’s maple, oak, or some other sort, wood gives you the acoustics you need to produce the well-known tapping sounds with your feet. Other surfaces such as marley can be used too, but wood is traditionally the best one.
2) How Much Are Dance Floors?
Portable dance floors range in price, mostly depending on their size.
A relatively small dance floor for home indoor use can cost about a hundred bucks. A high-end sizeable floor, on the other hand, might set you back for as much as $500. Also, the quality of the surface and the brand name play a role in how steep the price for these can be.
3) Is It Bad to Tap-Dance on Concrete?
Yes, it is.
Concrete is notorious for being probably the worst surface to do any sort of physical activity on and tap-dancing is no exception. Instead of concrete, try to find surfaces that will support your weight but still be elastic enough such as hardwood floors or marley.
4) What Can I Use for a Dance Floor?
Since dancing involves plenty of movement and even jumping (depending on your dance style and technique), it’s a good idea to dance on a surface that can both support your weight AND give you some elasticity to work with.
Generally speaking, various forms of wood seem to be a good choice of a floor, while concrete is the worst one by far.
5) Is Laminate Flooring Good for Dancing?
Laminate, as a material, is fairly similar to wood (because it’s made out of wood to a great degree), so it’s not a bad surface to dance on.
That said, you have to make sure that the laminate surface you’re dancing on is not too slippery because that can result in you spraining your ankle, or falling. (You can add a special coating to a laminate floor to make it less slippery, of course.)
All in all, dancing is a noble and demanding activity that requires a sound work environment to be performed well. So, in case you don’t have a dance studio near you, or you just want to practice on your own at home, getting your portable dance floor can be an excellent idea. We hope this article helped you find the portable dance floor of your dreams, and we wish you hassle-free shipping.