Whenever you have to move something heavy and weirdly-shaped, having a sturdy cart nearby could be the best solution for your transportation needs.
That said, a standard cart does have its limitations.
For example, a cart can only be moved about on relatively smooth surfaces such as concrete or some sort of floor. This is where we come to the first and the most important obstacle of carts – climbing stairs and beating curbs and other similar obstacles.
To be able to do this, a special sort of mechanism needs to be added to carts, to make them able to ‘climb’ over stairs, which then changes the entire description of one of these contraptions.
In this article, we’re going to talk about stair-climbing carts and how these can be easily used for a wide variety of purposes – mainly climbing stairs, of course. As you will see, having one of these can help you do several different functions and they don’t even differ that much from the regular cart models, so it’s not like you would need to learn how to use them all anew.
Right then folks, without further ado, here’s the deal.
Best Stair-Climbing Cart – A Brief Buyer’s Guide
When any sort of cart is in question, how much it can carry on its metal frame represents perhaps the most parameter to look into.
While the general rule of thumb sounds ‘the more the better’, sometimes you want a smaller cart for going to the local market or carrying your books or something. So, before buying a cart, check out the load capacity (expressed typically in pounds), as this will give you the clearest idea of how much that cart will be able to carry.
Don’t buy solely by the looks of the pictures because the scaling can be messed up, so you can end up with a product that’s either way too large or too small for you.
Other than the main cargo area, pockets can be a great addition to the general design of a stair-climbing cart.
Here you can put magazines, newspapers, spare bags, whatever it is that’s slim enough to fit in that pocket. So, if you want more functionality and better-organized space in your stair-climbing cart, getting a model with plenty of pockets could be the right decision.
Some carts require a bit of assembly here and there before you can use them, while others come ready to go right out of the package.
Generally speaking, even if a cart requires some assembly, chances are – it won’t be so difficult that you won’t be able to wrap your head around it. On the other hand, if you don’t want to have anything to do with setting up carts, you can simply get one that is already set up and foldable, so you can use it right away.
The material the cart is made out of will play a major role in how well that cart is going to withstand the weight and pressure that comes with having a bunch of items placed in it regularly.
As far as the construction is concerned, metal is usually the choice many manufacturers go for and then they add a protective layer to keep the rust and damage away.
One of the worst things about rubber tires and wheels is that the tires can deflate and then you’re left with a vehicle or cart that it would be easier to push than pull.
Luckily for everyone interested in buying a stair-climbing cart, the wheels in these contraptions are often the solid rubber type – no air, no funny business. This means that you can drag these carts through the glass, tacks, and barbed wire, and the tires won’t become compromised.
This can become a big factor if you live in an urban area with plenty of little bottle shards on the side of the street or other sharp objects that can damage your cart’s wheels.
Best Stair-Climbing Cart – A List of Products
1) winkeep – Foldable Shopping Cart with Extra Large Shopping Bag
- ★ Super Loading Capacity ★ - Upgraded oversized tri-wheel and extra large platform, this new design shopping cart will be able to withstand the heavier weight of the cargo more than other grocery...
- ★ Oversized Shopping Bag with More Pockets ★ - Extra large capacity, contains 6 pockets for storage, which include 1 large inside pocket,1 front pocket, 1 back zipper pocket, 1 inner zipper pocket...
As far as the metal parts of this contraption are concerned, the folks at winkeep made sure that they’re all made out of high-quality metal coated with a special protective layer that will ensure that this cart won’t rust even in moist conditions.
This thing comes with an adjustable bungee cord you can use to secure the ware you’re carrying on this cart. Also, with this model, you’re going to get a couple of extra pockets you can use to carry even more items, so you can rest assured you’re never going to need even more space if you carry this thing with you.
- Loading capacity of 220 pounds
- Sturdy frame and rust-resistant metal finish
- Adjustable bungee cord
- Three-wheel design
- Easy assembly
- Pushing the cart can be painful if it’s full of stuff
- Some users complained that the wheels are too bulky
2) Mecete – Stair-Climbing Cart Portable Climbing Cart
- Mecete Stair Climbing Cart has baking varnish’s surface, shining black. Maximum load: 330lb (150kg); Overall Length: 30in (76cm), the handle can be extended to 43in (110 cm); Frame Width: 16in...
- The video among the images would show you the wide usage range and the 330lb capacity test of Mecete climbing cart. With heavy duty frame, it is perfect for carrying groceries, luggage and laundry up...
As far as the wheels on this contraption are concerned, they’re made out of high-quality rubber, which ensures that they can run smoothly over a variety of surfaces, without wearing out too quickly, which is an important parameter to take into consideration when it comes to the overall longevity of this cart.
Underneath the chassis of this cart, there is an additional handlebar you can use to carry this item further around, in case one person is not enough to carry it. Thanks to the heavy-duty frame of this Mecete model, you can use it to carry everything from groceries and your luggage to car parts, and whatever it is that’s heavy and would be too difficult to carry on your hands.
- Maximum load of about 330 pounds
- Come with a single bungee cord
- Features two customized wrenches and one right-angle sleeve
- Heavy-duty frame
- High-quality rubber wheels
- Requires some assembly
- The assembly instructions could have been clearer
3) ROYI – 2020 Upgraded Shopping Cart
- Need Larger Storage Space & More Pocket for Loading Groceries? With Spacious Storage Bag and Big Front Pocket, Back Pocket , Side Pocket and Inside Pocket, ROYI Grocery Cart Provides You Larger...
- Do You Know ROYI Upgraded Quiet Tri-wheels Design? There’s nothing worse than the added weight of your cart when hauling goods upstairs or downstairs with a poor constructed cart.Our engineers...
Offering you excellent functionality and some quite interesting features such as the extended steel frame, this model can be a perfect solution for a person who needs to haul various goods to and from the local vegetable market. (It also works for old clothes, grocery shopping, you name it.)
As far as the assembly of this model is concerned, the story is quite simple – no tools required, so you can put it in action on your own in a matter of minutes. Once you do, you’ll notice immediately that this thing’s been built to last, as well as to be as lightweight as possible, because added weight is the last thing you need when you’re hauling heavy objects up and downstairs.
- Plenty of pockets for placing various slimmer items
- A tall frame that can support even more weight than the previous ROYI model
- Easy assembly – no tools required
- Foldable design
- Made out of high-quality stainless steel
- Some users have complained about the quality of the plastic handle
- Some users were dissatisfied with the security system of this bag
4) dbest products – Stair Climber Bigger Trolly Dolly
- The Bigger Stair Climber Mighty Max is the trusted personal household Dolly that has a Tri Wheel design allowing for easy stair climbing both up and down.
- Built-in comfort cushion handle reduces stress shock punctured to your joints while pulling and maneuvering and allows for a comfortable grip.
Other than the versatile wheels and the attractive design of this contraption, the folks at dbest have also made sure that this thing features a lightweight build so that you won’t have to do hoist too much of the dead weight when you try to bring your groceries up a flight of stairs.
Other than their excellent design, this cart is also fairly portable, meaning you can carry it everywhere with you with ease – especially if you fold it first.
- Features a 6-wheel design that can easily climb stairs
- Collapsible design for easy carrying and storage
- Can be used for a variety of weight-carrying purposes
- Comes with 8 storage compartments
- It takes a bit of effort to turn this thing
- Some users reported that transition between each step can be a tad jerky
5) Cosco Products – Shifter 300-Pound Capacity Multi-Position Folding Hand Truck and Cart
- Heavy Duty - Durable Steel Frame with 300lbs Weight Capacity
- Easy to Use - Quick Conversion with no pins or tools
What makes this contraption so exceptional would also be its capacity to change from a regular hand truck to a 4-wheel cart, enabling you to either drag it on two wheels or push it around on four wheels – whichever way you feel like is going to help you do all your carrying work in the best possible way. When you’re not using it, you can simply fold it flat and transport it around that way.
As far as the material this thing’s been made out of is concerned, the folks at Cosco Products made this thing out of metal with a special sort of powder coating for additional security.
- Heavy-duty durable frame
- Up to 300 pounds of weight capacity
- Requires no tools for conversion or assembly
- Can be folded flat for storage
- Metal coating for additional protection
- When collapsing the wheels, you need to be careful because they can snap your fingers
- Some users have reported problems with the folding mechanism
6) BeebeeRun – Folding Shopping Cart
Other than its sturdy construction, this model also comes with a useful stair-climbing feature, which you can use to tackle difficult obstacles in your path, including, well, – stairs. To give you more control, the handle on this model is made to be extendable, so you don’t worry about slouching if you’re too tall for its stock setting. (You can simply extend it to accommodate your height.)
The frame on this model is made out of high-quality aluminum, so there’ll no rust attacking it, no matter how damp the conditions are where you’re using this cart.
As far as the surfaces this model can tackle are concerned, you can rest assured that you will be able to go over cobblestones, grass, mud, gravel, concrete, you name it. On top of that, the amount of cargo you will be able to transport over these surfaces is about 177 pounds, which is more than enough for your market-day shopping excursions.
- Smart stair-climbing design
- Can be used for a wide variety of purposes
- Sturdy aluminum frame
- Comes with a detachable cloth bag
- Can go over a variety of surfaces
- Adjustable handle length
- Not so large, so it would not be a good choice for some larger transport tasks
- Some users complained that the wheels can’t fold flat all the way, so storage can be a problem
7) Welcom – Magna Cart Flatform 300-pound Folding Platform Truck
- The Magna Cart Flatform folding four wheel platform cart can be taken and stored anywhere!
- Telescoping handle extends to 36", large 27" x 16" platform and 4" rubber wheels (no air required) is capable of carrying up to 300 lbs.
Since this thing sports a folding design, you can rest assured that you will be able to fold it easily and store it wherever you want without any problems. Now, when it comes to the act of opening and closing this thing, you can do it in seconds, so you don’t have to worry about having to use tools to start this thing up from scratch every time you want to go shopping.
Supporting the sturdy frame on this model are four rubber wheels that don’t require any air to stay inflated – because they’re not inflated. This means there will be able to survive a nuclear strike and still keep rolling afterward with ease.
- Can be easily folded and stored anywhere
- Telescoping handle for more of a reach
- Supported by four rubber wheels (non-inflated)
- Can carry up to 300 pounds
- Front wheels rotate 360°
- Some users reported that the wheels would not go straight when pushed
- No brake
8) UpCart – Lift 200-Pound Capacity Stair-Climbing Folding Hand Truck
- 200lb CAPACITY powerhouse of a hand truck, yet lightweight at 11.3lbs eases resistance up and down stairs and over rough terrain.
- 4 WAY ADJUSTABLE WIDE HANDLE which is tallest in it's class at 50.3". Simply press the handle adjust button and find the height that works best for you to transport your load.
This thing also comes with a 4-way adjustable handle, so you can adjust the height to the level you find it comfortable. There’s a special button you need to press to make the handle adjusting possible. Once you’ve done this, you can slide the handle up and down (depending on what height you want to achieve) until you get to the position that suits you the best.
If you don’t like puttering about with tools and assembly, this product may be just the thing for you, because it comes fully preassembled. All you need to take it out of the box, unfold it, et voila! – you can start pushing it around straight away.
- Lightweight design
- 200 pounds of weight capacity
- Comes with a 4-way adjustable handle
- Goes easily up and down the stairs thanks to its stair-climbing properties
- Can be folded completely flat for easy storage
- No assembly required
- Some users complained that the handle isn’t sturdy enough
- Some users complained that the maneuverability is not great when it comes to going around corners and making sharp turns
9) dbest Products – Stair Climber Trolly Dolly 2
- Our folding Stair Climber Bigger Trolley dolly cart perfectly balances lightweight capability with durability and features 6-wheel design that glides up and down stairs with ease. Take it to the...
- Collapsible and Portable; Easily folds down in half for compact storage when not in use; Store in the trunk of your car, under the bed, in the closet or garage.
On the other hand, you can also get this trolley in black and blue, so it is as suitable for males as it is for females. Of course, the red color that this thing comes would also work for males, so there’s no need for you to worry too much about not looking chic enough no matter what hue you decide to go for.
When it comes to the construction of this thing, it has six wheels, split into two sections of three, so you can tackle any obstacle involving stairs with ease. As far as the uses for this cart are concerned, you can use it for transporting groceries, clothes, and other cargo with ease.
- Comes with 6 sturdy wheels split into two groups o’ three
- Collapsible and easily portable
- Contains 7 storage compartments of varying size
- Little to no assembly required
- Can carry up to 110 pounds
- Some users complained that the loading area was too small
- Some users complained that the handle was too low for them to reach
10) Mount-It! – Stair Climber Hand Truck and Dolly
- FOLDING HAND CART – Lightweight industrial-grade trolley helps moving heavy objects. Save your back and carry things around with the right tool for the job. Perfect for use at home, office,...
- PREMIUM UTILITY AND MOVING CART – Constructed from Aluminum alloy and rated to hold up to 165 lbs. Included bungee cord secures the loads to the hand truck. Large rubber wheels generate no noise and...
When storage is in question, this thing works for you because it can be folded, so that it easily fits wherever you have enough space to place it. Whether it’s your larder or a tight spot in your basement, you can rest assured that this thing won’t take up too much space. Also, when you need to render it operational again, you won’t have any problem doing that, either.
As far as the handling is concerned, this thing comes with an easy-to-grip handle, so you don’t have to worry about your hands getting all blistered for pushing this thing around for too long.
- Has a total of 6 wheels
- Telescoping handle for easy handling
- Lightweight industrial-grade construction
- No assembly required
- Easy storage
- A bit expensive
- Some users have complained that it takes a bit of upper body strength to operate
In conclusion, if you need a wheeled contraption that can carry your groceries for you, brave various obstacles including steep stairs, and can be easily stored when not in use, a stair-climbing cart is the thing for you. We hope this article helped you learn more about these curious contraptions and that you were able to find a model that suits your needs in the best way.