When it comes to taking care of your carpeted surfaces, nothing beats a gentle yet thorough cleaning power of steam-based vacuum cleaner.
Indeed, these contraptions can not only suck in the itsy bitsy pieces of dirt and those dog food granules from commercials, but they can also sanitize the surface they’re hovering over thanks to their steam output.
As you probably already know, steam has the ability to penetrate deep into the fibers of a carpet or other similar material, as well as hard surfaces, and tackle head on any impurities, microscopic parasites and other small creatures and fungi that shouldn’t be there.
What makes steam-based vacuums so popular, among other things, would be their rather simple way of operation. Namely, steam cleaners only need a tank of water, a heater to turn that water into steam, and then a small motor with a fan to disperse the steam in drive it in the fibers of the carpeted surfaces below. (For the record, the fibers in question don’t need to be just carpets – any cloth or fabric can benefit massively from a proper steam cleansing session.)
In this article, we’ll discuss these hefty devices in more detail. Namely, we’ll explain what they’re all about – that is, their parts and what to pay attention to when buying one. Also, there’ll be a top 5 list of the best steam-based vacuum cleaners currently on the market that we’ve prepared for you!
Alright then, folks here’s the deal.
Experts Picks: Top 5 Steam Vacuum Reviews
- Steam-Based Vacuum Cleaners – A Short Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Steam Vacuum Cleaner Models
- 1. Shark – Steam Pocket Mop Hard Floor Cleaner with Swivel Steering
- 2. McCulloch – Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner with 18 Accessories
- 3. Dupray – Neat Steam Cleaner
- 4. Bissell – Steam Shot Hard-Surface Cleaner
- 5. Bissell – Power Fresh Steam Mop + Spring Fresh
- 6. Bissell ProHeat 2X Lift Off Pet Carpet Cleaner
- 7. Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Family Pack Vacuum
- 8. Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
- 9. COSTWAY Multipurpose Steam Cleaner with 18 Accessories
- 10. BISSELL Turboclean Powerbrush Pet Upright Carpet Cleaner
Steam-Based Vacuum Cleaners – A Short Buyer’s Guide
As is the case with virtually every contraption that features a heater, an important parameter when it comes to the efficiency of a steam vacuum would be its heat-up time.
The working principle of a steam-based vacuum is following: there’s a tank of water that gets heated by a heating element. When the water’s turned into steam and is ready to be deployed, the motor disperses it in the necessary direction. Simple as that.
Now, the heat-up time depends on two parameters – the size of the tank and the power of the heater. Generally speaking, it’d be wiser to look for a model with a powerful heater rather than a small tank, as you’ll be able to use it for longer periods of time without interruptions because a smaller tank equals more frequent refills.
On the other hand, buying a model with a strong heater will probably going to cost more. Bottom line, striking that fine balance of cost and power (and tank size) is the key to securing a good deal on a steam-based vacuum cleaner.
Temperature of Operation
The fact that water turns into steam under certain conditions (pressure + temperature) doesn’t mean that the resulting steam will always be of the same temperature. In fact, the variations in temperature of the steam make all the difference when it comes to the cleaning effectiveness of a steam vacuum cleaner!
As a rule, higher temperatures are more effective in killing off various bacteria, fungi, microorganisms, as well as fleas, bugs, and whatever else may crawl on your carpets than steam of lower intensity. Now, to make hotter steam cleaner for bed bug, what you’ll need is quite simply – a stronger, more powerful heating element.
Other than a powerful heater, you may also want to look into a category known as ‘volume control’. Not all steam models have this option, but those that do allow you to control the temperature and intensity of the steam they let out, so this would be a feature you should be interested in if you have different carpeted surfaces to clean.
When it comes to various accessories, regular vacuum cleaners tend to be much better represented in comparison to steam-based ones. This, however, does not mean that you won’t find steam vacuums with plenty of different accessories for various purposes – they just tend to be somewhat rarer.
Anyway, as you may have already figured, more accessories usually mean a higher price, but if you have a large household with plenty of different surfaces that need steam-based cleaning, spending a bit more money may be a wise investment.
Whether it’s a scrub brush, a squeegee attachment, a collection of spare scented pads, brass brushes, nylon brushes, or special mops – a series of accessories can help you clean your entire house with only one tool. What’s not to love?
Water Tank Size
Although the water tank doesn’t really represent the most important part of a steam vacuum cleaner, it certainly has its role. In fact, about the only water tank parameter, you’d need to take into consideration when buying a steam vacuum would be its size. (Meaning the water tank’s size, not the vacuum’s.)
Generally speaking, the larger a water tank is, the more time you’ll have available to clean with it without interruptions. Of course, a larger tank does mean it will require more heating power to heat up the water inside, but if longer use and ease of use are your main priorities, you should definitely go for a model with a large water tank.
Although steam-based cleaning tools aren’t really notorious for being unbearably loud, as vacuum cleaners often are, the noise they let out is still an aspect of their operation worth taking a look at, so to speak.
The noise levels of steam vacuums are minimal as it is because their motor only has to push the steam out of the nozzle at low pressure, unlike vacuum cleaner motors, which have to produce a lot of suction. Therefore, even the most powerful steam vacuums will produce but moderate amounts of noise.
So, if you’re hell-bent on reducing the noise output to the lowest possible level, you may want to check out the descriptions of each individual model. Some manufacturers will go out of their way to market the quietness of their product, so if you’re really interested in this particular parameter, check out what the folks who make the model in question have to say about its noise pollution levels.
10 Best Steam Vacuum Cleaner Models
1. Shark – Steam Pocket Mop Hard Floor Cleaner with Swivel Steering
- The Shark Steam Pocket Mop turns ordinary water into super-heated steam to remove everyday dirt and grime that other mops leave behind.
- Powerful steam on demand - natural mopping motion delivers super-heated steam in just 30 seconds, and dries almost immediately
Wielding a powerful heater that can turn tap water into a deadly weapon you can use against bacteria, microorganisms, and germs inhabiting your floor, this Shark mop for hard floors is a contraption that can help you resolve your floor-related sanitary issues.
Since one of the most important aspects of a vacuum cleaner when it comes to its space-covering prowess would be the length of its cord, the folks at Shark have decided to equip this particular model with a long 25-foot power cord. The design is quick-release, so you can unfold it quickly to use your vacuum straight away whenever you like!
As far as the heat-up time of this particular model is concerned, a full tank of water can be ready for use in less than 30 seconds. The resulting steam is super-heated and will be able to penetrate into and completely dissolve any dirt and bacterial particles that stand in its way.
- Comes with a long, 25-foot power cord
- Capable of getting rid of 99.9% of all germs and bacteria on your floors
- Heat-up time of only about 30 seconds
- Features two washable microfiber pads
- Ergonomic handle with a soft grip
- Can be used with regular tap water
- Does not perform as well on grout
- Some users have reported that this unit is difficult to push
2. McCulloch – Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner with 18 Accessories
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING - Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile,...
With the appearance of a Volkswagen Beetle with some additional tubing, this McCulloch heavy-duty steam cleaner is a beast of a steam-based vacuum that can easily take care of a wide variety of messes. Its biggest selling point would be the fact that it doesn’t require any additional chemical solutions to deliver its cleansing punch. All it pretty much requires is some water and a power outlet!
Thanks to its powerful steam output, this contraption can be easily used on a wide variety of surfaces including granite, tile, laminate, grout, as well as grills, cars, and other surfaces in need of a speedy steam delivery.
Now, the way this vacuum cleaner works on cars and other non-floored surfaces is that it comes with no less than 18 different accessories including a squeegee, a mop pad, a floor mop, a nylon brush and many more.
- Cleans without the need for chemicals
- Can take care of tile, granite, grout, laminate, and other surfaces
- Comes with a large capacity water tank (48 ounces)
- 18 accessories for a wide variety of surfaces
- 2-year warranty
- Contains cheap plastic parts
- Fairly expensive
3. Dupray – Neat Steam Cleaner
- STEAM CLEAN. DEGREASE. DEODORIZE. ANY SURFACE. BETTER.
- POWERFUL STEAM CLEANER: up to 275°F/135°C. Best multi purpose steamer for home, cars and more.
The secret lies in the temperature of the steam, which reaches up to 275° Fahrenheit – more than enough to take care of even the most stubborn patches of grease as soon as you can say ‘Jack Robinson’. When it comes to the time you will have on your disposal to keep attacking the grease, grime, and whatever other pollutants you plan on tackling, you’ll have some 50 minutes of cleaning per tank.
- Does not require any chemical solutions for cleaning
- Can clean, deodorize, disinfect, and degrease the surfaces it tackles
- The steam temperature reaches 275° Fahrenheit
- Up to 50 minutes of cleaning
- 2-year warranty
- Lifetime warranty on steam cleaner boiler
- Refills can take up to 20 minutes
- The handle and the hose can get quite hot after prolonged use
4. Bissell – Steam Shot Hard-Surface Cleaner
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Powerful High-Pressure Steam Cleaner With Easy-To-Press Trigger
Looks like a kettle, produces steam like a kettle, but unlike a kettle – this contraption cleans floors and other surfaces in need of some good steamin’! This unorthodox-looking model from Bissell represents a great steam-based utensil that you can use for cleaning floors, cars, furniture – you name it.
Even though it doesn’t look as much from afar, this small but plucky contraption actually has an impressive 1000-Watt power rating, which enables it to heat up steam quickly and efficiently every time. This also means you won’t have to wait for ages for it to heat up, so you can use this unit whenever you like or need to.
Out of accessories, the folks at Bissell have decided to include an extension hose, a nozzle, grout brush, a fabric steamer, a window squeegee, and several others. Each of the accessories has a role in performing different clean-up tasks, so this model would be perfect for people who have to take care of messes on different surfaces.
- Chemical-free cleaning
- Easy-to-press trigger
- Continuous supply of steam
- A long power cord of 20-feet
- Impressive 1000-Watt power rating
- Includes a number of accessories for different cleaning tasks
- Small water tank
- Features some cheap plastic parts
5. Bissell – Power Fresh Steam Mop + Spring Fresh
- Clean and sanitize sealed hard floors without the use of harsh chemicals; Eliminates 99; 9 percent of germs and bacteria with the natural power of steam
- Power through tough, sticky messes with the flip down easy scrubber
If you’re on a lookout for a simple and efficient way to get rid of up to 99.9% of all germs and bacteria, as the manufacturers claim, this Bissell Power Fresh Steam mop can be the perfect tool for the job. As the name of this product itself suggests, this offer actually represents a bundle of two products – a steam mop and a bottle of scented demineralized water you can use with it.
Using this scrubber can save you some time doing your chores, as the built-in scrubber enables you to easily take care of the scrubbing part of the job without having to use a separate tool after you’ve done steaming your floor.
For ensuring each surface you intend to work on is approached with the perfect amount of steam power, the folks at Bissell have installed a steam intensity controller in this vacuum cleaner. You can set it to work at low, medium, and high steam intensity.
- Capable of killing off 99.9% of germs and bacteria
- Built-in scrubber
- Comes with a variable steam controller
- This vacuum leaves a special spring fragrance after cleaning
- Features a bottle of demineralized scented water
- The scrubber is not as efficient in tight spots and against walls
- You need to use filtered water
6. Bissell ProHeat 2X Lift Off Pet Carpet Cleaner
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Professional Style Results. Outcleans the leading rental machine.*
With the Bissell ProHeat 2X Lift Off Pet Carpet Cleaner, you’ll be able to clean both your carpets and upholstered furniture. In addition to pushing this cleaner all around your floors to have them clean, the pod can be detached to help you clean upholstery or tackle a tough stain.
You’ll be impressed with how clean this product will leave your carpets. It has Bissell’s Dual Dirt Lifter Power Brushes that are designed to get deep down into each individual carpet fiber to remove dirt and debris. The cleaner also uses Bissell’s Heatwave Technology to make sure the water temperature is at the ideal temperature to loosen dirt and thoroughly clean your carpet.
This steam vacuum’s tank has a ¾-gallon capacity. This will prevent you from needing to refill the tank too frequently. It also has a 12-inch cleaning path to help you cover a large area of carpet at one time.
To help you clean upholstered furniture, stairs, and hard to reach areas, this product has a six-foot hose and spot cleaner tools. Your purchase will also include two samples of Bissell’s shampoo formula. Bissell also includes a three-year warranty to protect your purchase.
- The Dual Dirt Power Brushes work to loosen and remove dirt from your carpet.
- The pod lifts off, making it easier to clean furniture and stairs.
- With a 12-inch cleaning path, you’ll be able to clean the rooms in your home quickly.
- Storing the hose on the cleaner may be challenging since the hose sometimes kinks.
7. Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Family Pack Vacuum
- Gently and effectively deep clean carpets within the home using the Mighty Pro X3 Machine, equipped with convenient upholstery tool and two cleaning solutions within the Family Pack
- Professional strength cleaning power at do-it-yourself prices, Oxy-Steam concentrated solution yields some of the highest square foot coverage in the industry to provide fresh, long-lasting results
If you want your carpets to look like they were professionally steam cleaned, consider the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Family Pack Vacuum. This steam vacuum features agitating bristles that work to give your carpets a deep clean. After the bristles loosen dirt and debris from your carpet fibers, the vacuum’s powerful suction works to remove the mess and liquid from the floor.
If you need to clean furniture, you’ll love the included upholstery tool. This tool can also help you if you want to steam clean your stairs or are having trouble reaching an area of your room with the steam vacuum.
The Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Family Pack Vacuum has a large tank that is designed to hold enough clean water and dirty water to allow you to clean a large area before you’ll need to empty it and refill it.
This product comes with two solutions that will allow you to get cleaning right away once your order is delivered. You’ll receive the Oxy-Steam Solution and Platinum Professional Spot and Stain Remover. These products will help the machine work to loosen and remove any stubborn stains in your carpets.
- With the upholstery tool, you’ll be able to easily clean cushions, stairs, furniture, and more.
- This steam vacuum has a large tank.
- You’ll receive Platinum Professional Spot and Stain Remover and Oxy-Steam Solution with your order.
- This product is heavier than many other steam vacuums.
8. Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
- MAXIMUM PORTABILITY — Designed for ease of use with a 15-foot power cord with integrated cord wrap, wheels, carrying handle, and a 6. 5-foot hose that provides added reach for those hard to get to...
- 15 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including mop pads, utility brushes, jet nozzle, squeegee, scrub tools, fill cup, and more
If you are looking for a product that will help you steam clean floors and other hard surfaces in your home, consider the Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner. This steam cleaner is designed to give your surfaces a deep cleaning, without using any dangerous chemicals.
The Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner comes with 15 different attachments which will help you clean many different areas in your home. A few of the attachments you’ll receive include a mop head, scrub tool, jet nozzle, squeegee, and corner tool.
If you want the machine to produce a lot of steam for particularly dirty areas, you can switch the trigger to allow for continuous steam to flow. This product’s tan has a 45-ounce capacity, which will allow you to clean for up to 45 minutes before you’ll need to refill it.
- There are 15 different attachments which will help you clean nearly any hard surface in your home you can think of.
- You can flip the trigger for a continuous flow of steam.
- You’ll be able to sanitize surfaces without using any harmful chemicals.
- This cleaner is not designed to clean carpets.
9. COSTWAY Multipurpose Steam Cleaner with 18 Accessories
- 🏡【Efficient & Deep Clean】Our Steam Cleaner uses up to 226 °F hot-pressure steam to deeply clean and sanitize. The 4.0 bar work pressure can be used to eliminate grease, grime from a wide range...
- 🏡【Large Water Capacity】The Steam Cleaner includes a 1.5L (51oz.) water tank which you need to heat up for 8-9 minutes, so it reaches the temperature of 226.4℉ before using it. This will...
The COSTWAY Multipurpose Steam Cleaner with 18 Accessories is a versatile cleaning tool that can help you clean every room in your home. The 18 included accessories will allow you to clean hard floors, carpets, mirrors, metal surfaces, and more.
This steam cleaner can produce steam as hot as 226 degrees Fahrenheit to help you thoroughly remove stains and kill harmful bacteria or mold in your home. It has an ergonomic design featuring a comfortable handle and rolling casters. You’ll find that it is very easy to maneuver it in a room or carry it to another space.
The COSTWAY Multipurpose Steam Cleaner’s tank has a 1.5-liter capacity. It also comes with a 16-foot long power cord and two extension steam tubes to make it quicker and easier for you to clean.
- 18 accessories are included to allow you to clean multiple surfaces in your home.
- This machine can produce steam up to 226 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The 16-foot power cord will allow you to clean for a long time without worrying about moving to a different outlet.
- You’ll need to wait eight or nine minutes for the water to get hot enough for you to be able to use the cleaner.
10. BISSELL Turboclean Powerbrush Pet Upright Carpet Cleaner
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Clean powerfully. Remove tough stains and pet messes.
Your floors will look renewed with the BISSELL Turboclean Powerbrush Pet Upright Carpet Cleaner Machine and Carpet Shampooer. This carpet cleaner features a four-row rotating Dirtlifter Powerbrush that will loosen and remove any trapped dirt on your carpets.
Since it only weighs 12 pounds, you’ll find that it is very easy to push this carpet cleaner along your floors as you’re cleaning them. It will also be easy to carry it up or down the stairs to clean additional rooms in your home or return it to its place of storage.
To help ensure that no dirty water gets mixed with the clean water, this cleaner uses a two-tank system. It has a half-gallon tank capacity.
- This is a lightweight option and only weighs 12 pounds.
- The two-tank system ensures that dirty water doesn’t mix in with the clean water.
- The rotating Dirtlifter Powerbrush effectively removes stubborn stains and dirt from your carpets.
- The tank only has a half-gallon capacity.
5 Benefits of Steam Cleaning
- Steam cleaning can kill up to 99.9% of germs, bacteria, and dust mites.
- When you steam clean your carpets, they’ll smell fresher and cleaner.
- You can clean carpets with a steam cleaner without adding any chemical cleaners, if you want.
- You can save money in the long-run when you steam clean your carpets since you’ll be able to stop buying chemical cleaners.
- The carpets in your home will look new for much longer when you clean them regularly with a steam vacuum.
FAQ about Steam Cleaning
What can you clean with a steam cleaner?
Steam cleaners can be used for so much more than just cleaning carpets. Many steam cleaners also come with an upholstery tool that can be used to clean carpets, stairs, the interior of your car, an RV, curtains, pet beds, and mattresses.
What’s the difference between steamer and carpet shampooer?
A carpet shampooer mixes soap and warm water together and then applies the solution to carpets. The solution is worked into the carpet to loosen dirt, and then is removed. Shampooing cleans the upper portion of your carpets. Steamers are designed to give your carpets a deeper clean, and can clean all of the carpet fibers, not just the upper portion. Steam cleaners clean using hot or warm water. They spray water on your floors, loosen the dirt, then suck it all back up.
Are steam cleaners good for carpets?
As long as you make sure enough water is removed from your carpets, steam cleaning can be good for carpets. It will remove bacteria, dirt, and debris from your carpets, leaving them looking fresh and smelling clean.
Is steam cleaning carpet better than shampooing?
Steam cleaning a carpet is a better option than shampooing if you are looking to give your carpets a deep clean. Most steam cleaners are designed to clean the entire carpeted area, instead of just the surface area that most carpet shampooers clean.
How often should you steam clean carpet?
In order to protect your carpet and help extend its lifespan, you should try to steam clean it once a year. If you have kids or pets, you may want to consider cleaning it a bit more frequently.
Should I vacuum after steam cleaning?
Yes, you should vacuum after you steam clean your carpets. Vacuuming after your carpets have been steam cleaned can help pick up any left-over debris that was left behind by your steam cleaner. You should also vacuum before you steam clean to remove as much as the surface dirt as possible.
Can I use carpet steam cleaner on tile?
No, you shouldn’t use a carpet cleaner to steam clean a tile floor. Carpet cleaners are designed for carpets and have brushed with bristles that may scratch your tile floor or leave it looking muted or faded.
Is steam cleaning safe for tile floors?
Steam cleaning is safe for some types of tile floors, but may not be recommended for others. If you have ceramic or porcelain tiles, you should be fine to steam clean them. If you have marble tiles, a steam cleaner may be too hot and cause damage. Before using a steam cleaner on your tile floor, check with the manufacturer of your tiles to see what they recommend.
In conclusion, if you want to get something sanitized, deodorized, and completely clean and bacteria-free, using one of these steam-based cleaners would be the best way to go. We hope you found this article helpful and wish you the best of luck finding your perfect steam-spewin’ bacteria-destroyin’ companion!